Saif

Jan 24, 2024
Origin

Residence

Axis Group

Plunged into darkness
Hundreds lost vision partially or completely

1724023454513.png

"Help me! I cannot see anything …!" Al Amin Howlader cried moments before he lost consciousness and fell to the ground as police opened fire on quota reform protesters indiscriminately.

The seventh grader of a school in Barishal was rushed to a local health facility and then transferred to Dhaka, where the hospitals received hundreds of patients like him – blinded completely or partially by pellet wounds during the weeks of protests from mid-July to early August.

The National Institute of Ophthalmology and Hospital (NIOH) alone treated more than 700 patients who were shot in their eyes during the protests, according to its Director Professor Golam Mostafa.

Of them, 366 lost vision in one eye, and 17 in both.

Al Amin from Barishal said like the days before, the student of Hatem Ali Boys and Girls High School in the southern city joined his peers and seniors in the protests on Nathullabad Road on July 17, with unforeseeable peril awaiting him that afternoon.

"I had gone to support my seniors and fellows who were being attacked indiscriminately. However, I never expected them [police] to fire bullets and pellets at us," said the 14-year-old.

At least 22 pellets entered different parts of the schoolboy's body that day, including one into his right eye. Following the incident, he was rushed to Sher-e-Bangla Medical College Hospital in the city.

More shocks were waiting for the family there. Doctors asked them to take him home despite multiple pellets still inside his body, including in the eye, as the authorities ordered the removal of all patients injured in the protests by that night, said Al Amin's mother Sharmin Jahan.

With whatever cash she could manage, she left home with her wounded son the next day and visited multiple health facilities for treatment.

"The hospitals were flooded with patients, which caused delays. After several tests and a thorough examination at Grameen GC Eye Hospital, they recommended immediate surgery and referred him [Al Amin] to Ispahani Islamia Eye Hospital in Dhaka," Sharmin said.

Like Al Amin, around 1,300 others were admitted to the hospitals in Dhaka, including the NIOH, Lions Eye Institute, Bangladesh Eye Hospital, and Dhaka Medical College Hospital's eye department, according to Dr Syeed Mehbub Ul Kadir of Bangladesh Eye Hospital.

Of them, 630 underwent surgeries -- more than 90 percent of whom have lost vision in one or both eyes, he added.

Most were admitted with pellet wounds causing retinal haemorrhage that led to loss of vision, said Dr Kadir.

In just 10 days from July 17, as many as 445 patients were rushed to the NIOH's emergency care. At least 305 of them had surgery.

Another 261 patients were brought between August 4 and 10, and 181 of them underwent surgery, the hospital said in a bulletin on August 11.

The patients have either become visually impaired or are at risk of losing sight. Their rehabilitation is important and urgent, added the bulletin.

Similar cases were reported from around the country, although a concrete figure is not available yet.

In Al Amin's case, the pellet had penetrated his retina, said his doctor vitreo-retinal surgeon Dr Farhana Yasmin of Ispahani Islamia Eye Institute and Hospital.

The boy had the surgery on August 13. However, the doctors could not get the pellet out as it was deeply stuck in his optic nerve, making it nearly impossible for surgeons to remove it.

The pellet would not further harm Al Amin's eye, but the incident has led to a loss of vision in the injured eye, Dr Farhana said. "He would require follow-ups, and perhaps, another surgery," she said.

The doctor attended to at least five similar patients in the past two days.

"My friends have returned to school while all I do these days is sit indoors or lie on the bed," said Al Amin, currently at home after being discharged on August 14.

"I don't know how long it will take for me to return to my old life – enjoying chase with my school friends in the playfield."

Restaurant worker Kazi Faruk, however, still lies in his bed at the NIOH, wearing sunglasses.

An unseeable barrier now stands between him and a world he can no longer see after losing vision in both eyes.

Once filled with hope, Faruk's life took a tragic turn on August 5, the day Dhaka's streets erupted in celebration following Sheikh Hasina's fall and departure from the country.

It began as a regular day in his small room at his mess in Merul Badda. The Capital, the restaurant where he had worked for the past four years, was closed due to the unrest and curfew.

When the news of Hasina's exit spread, Faruk, like lakhs of others, joined the jubilant crowds.

As an active protester who had been demonstrating with Brac University students since July 16, he joined them on this day of victory as well.

As the protesters neared Badda Police Station, the celebration turned into horror.

Without any warning, police opened fire, and in the ensuing chaos, Faruk was struck by shotgun pellets, including in his eyes.

He was rushed to the NIOH immediately, but the irreparable damage was already done.

"We're still trying to regain his vision," said the hospital's Director Prof Mostafa.

"It's tragic for me to be shot on the day of celebration after our successful mission. The doctors are trying their best. I would be happy if I could regain vision in at least one eye," Faruk said, his voice tinged with sadness.

While the hospital is providing necessary care, Faruk's worries go beyond his immediate treatment.

"The hospital is giving me the supplies I need, but I have to buy the medicines that aren't available here. People are checking on me now, but I fear that if they stop, I'll be left alone," he added.

Faruk's family is also grappling with the uncertainty hanging over his future. Having lost his parents long ago, Faruk had faced many challenges in life, but nothing as devastating as this.​

Army pledges support to injured students: ISPR

1724024203953.png

The Bangladesh Army has taken steps to provide urgent and advanced medical care to students injured in the anti-discrimination movement led by students.

In a press release issued today (18 August), the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) Directorate requested that the students who need emergency treatment contact the following numbers: 01769051652, 01769051653, 01769051654, 1769051657 and 01769051658.

The army wishes for a swift recovery of the students injured in the movement, reads the release.

Bangladesh Army is committed to providing the highest level of support to the affected students by ensuring the necessary emergency medical care that they need, it added.​

Shot six times, Amir lives to tell his tale
Man seen hanging from ledge of Rampura building while being shot by police in viral video miraculously escapes death

1724108745299.png

Photo: Collected

After broadband internet was restored in selected areas on July 23, a video began circulating on social media showing a boy hanging from the ledge of an under-construction building.

Two cops are then seen arriving at the scene and several rounds of gunshots are heard. The video shows police pointing their guns at the boy, who is desperately hanging on his fingertips for his life.

The footage led many to believe that the person in the video had been killed on the spot.

This correspondent spoke to eyewitnesses and verified the authenticity of the video through geolocation tracking on July 24.

It was confirmed that the footage was taken from a building near Meradia Bazar in Rampura.

Visiting the under-construction building, this correspondent saw bloodstains on the third and fourth floors.

However, without tracing the body, The Daily Star could not confirm the death.

Recently, The Daily Star got information that Amir, the subject in the video who everyone believed to be dead, is alive.

He is now recovering at his Dhaka residence in a slum in Noapara, Meradia.

Speaking with The Daily Star yesterday, Amir told us how he survived.

After attending Friday prayers, he was on his way home when BGB and police opened fire on protesters. Fearing for his life, he ran and took refuge on the fourth floor of the under-construction building.

He said at one stage of the clash, many cops entered the building. In fear, Amir tried to hide by hanging from a ledge on the fourth floor.

After a while, two policemen found him hiding there.

The officers allegedly threatened him and said, "Jump from the building, or we will shoot you."

While he was hanging on for his life, a police officer from the third floor fired six shots, all of them hitting him, three on each leg.

Despite bleeding heavily from his injuries, Amir clung to the rod until the police left.

He then collapsed onto the third floor.

"I tried to get up but had no strength. I shouted, but sounds of gunfire muffled my pleas for help," Amir recounted referring to the clash that was going on nearby.

"At one point, I almost gave up hope. I thought I would die. My vision was blurred, but a part of me didn't want to give up. I kept thinking, 'I can't die like this'. Thoughts of my elderly father and my sister, whose marriage I had been saving money for, kept me going. This wasn't how I would die," he added.

Nearly three hours later, after the clash subsided, a student rushed into the building and found Amir lying in a pool of blood.

Two doctors from a nearby hospital, who were in the area, quickly joined the rescue. They worked desperately to stop the bleeding.

"They kept telling me, 'Don't close your eyes. We won't let you die. Please, don't close your eyes'," Amir recalled.

They took him to Famous Hospital, where he received initial treatment that night, before being referred to Dhaka Medical College and Hospital.

Amir experienced so much blood loss that he required three bags of blood at the hospital. After three days, he was discharged from DMCH.

"He needed further treatment, but DMCH was flooded with people who had life-threatening injuries. Since Amir's condition was stable, doctors prescribed him medication for three months and sent him home," said Nasima Begum, Amir's aunt.

"After the video went viral, we heard police were searching for us. There were stories of raids where police were picking up people with bullet injuries, so we stayed quiet. Journalists were looking for him, but we only could speak out after hearing about Sheikh Hasina's fall on August 5," she added.

Amir showed this correspondent all of the bullet wounds he had to mark the horrific day.

In his right leg, a bullet struck the sole of his foot and pierced through his ankle, another hit his shin and exited through his calf, and a third struck his thigh, passing through his hip.

In his left leg, one bullet struck just below his knee and exited the other side, another hit the top of his thigh and exited through the opposite end. The last one was lodged below his thigh and exited through the other side.

We took photos of his medical reports, including the X-rays, and consulted physicians from Famous Hospital and Farazy Hospital, where Amir had a follow-up after being discharged from DMCH.

At Famous Hospital, doctors confirmed that Amir would have likely died from excessive bleeding if he had been brought in just 5-10 minutes later. Both hospitals noted that Amir's speedy recovery was due to the fact that none of the six bullets struck his bones; if they had, it might have been fatal.

However, Amir still can't stand on his own and needs assistance to use the washroom. The doctors noted that he lost a significant amount of blood and it would take time for him to fully recover.​

ঝুলে থাকা সেই গুলিবিদ্ধ তরুণ জানালো সেদিনের ভয়াবহ অভিজ্ঞতা, কেন গুলি করেছিল পুলিশ?

We are not doing enough for the injured
Those maimed in July-August need more than free treatment

1726704334043.png

VISUAL: STAR

The price that citizens had to pay to oust Sheikh Hasina's autocratic regime, not just in terms of the lives lost but also the sheer number of injuries, is stupefying. According to a recent report, more than 500 people, mostly in their prime age, have been fully or partially blinded by pellets of shotguns that law enforcers used on protesters during the July-August uprising. Despite repeated surgeries, many of the injured reportedly have no hope of regaining their eyesight. In some cases, the pellets penetrated so deep that removing those would require the removal of the eye altogether.

All this has meant extended hospital stays for many victims, taking a toll not just on their mental health but also on the financial and emotional state of their families. We appreciate the interim government's announcement yesterday to provide cash assistance to families of the victims, including the injured within a week. While hospital fee waivers have been helpful, patients need money to buy certain medicine and have tests done in private clinics. Plus, lengthy hospital stay means rising costs of food and accommodation for the attendants, especially those travelling from different districts.

Many of the wounded come from impoverished backgrounds. For them to bear treatment and attendance related expenses over a long period is not just difficult; it is literally putting them into debt. We have written about this issue before, and urge the government to prioritise and expedite the cash disbursement, if necessary, in phases.

The government should also start putting in motion its rehabilitation plans for the injured, who will need assistance to rebuild their lives. An overall change is also required to integrate these individuals back into a society where persons with disabilities are often looked down upon and have little infrastructural support. Also, laws related to the use of less-lethal weapons such as pellet shotguns in policing must be reviewed, keeping in mind an Amnesty International finding that these so-called less-lethal weapons injure not only protesters but also bystanders causing permanent impairment, which explains the high number of wounded in the July-August uprising.​

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back