[🇧🇩-Land] Bangladesh Army News/Views

[🇧🇩-Land] Bangladesh Army News/Views
74
4K
More threads by Saif

G   Bangladesh Defense

Army Chief returns home after Malaysia visit

UNB
Dhaka

1776989349562.webp

Chief of Army Staff General Waker-Uz-Zaman. BSS

Chief of Army Staff General Waker-Uz-Zaman returned home on Thursday after completing a four-day official visit to Malaysia.

During the visit, he attended the Defence Services Asia (DSA) and National Security Asia (NATSEC ASIA) 2026 Exhibition in Kuala Lumpur as the representative of Prime Minister Tarique Rahman.


He also participated in the 8th Putrajaya Forum held under the theme “ASEAN Security at the Edge of Emerging Technologies,” said an ISPR press release .

Besides, the Army Chief held courtesy meetings with Malaysian defence and security officials, where they discussed issues related to defence cooperation, joint training, joint initiatives and mutual collaboration between the two countries.​
 

Army to return to barracks by end of June

Withdrawal to begin on June 6

Staff Correspondent 07 May, 2026, 00:44

The government has decided to withdraw members of the armed forces from the field and send them back to their respective barracks by the end of June this year, nearly two years after their deployment in July 2024.

The decision was taken at a meeting of the law and order-related core committee, chaired by home minister Salahuddin Ahmed at the ministry on Tuesday, said a home ministry official.

According to the decision, troop withdrawal will begin on June 6, with all personnel expected to return to their barracks by the end of June.

The process will start from remote districts, followed by divisional cities and major districts in phases.

The members of the armed forces were deployed in July 2024 during the Awami League regime when the country was witnessing a student-led movement against discrimination in government job quotas.

They remained in the field throughout the interim government period to assist the civil administration.

The core committee held its first meeting after the Bangladesh Nationalist Party formed the government on February 17, five days after a landslide victory in the February 12 Jatiya Sangsad elections.Country specific content

The committee had been reconstituted on April 21, with home minister Salahuddin Ahmed as its head, to review the law and order situation and determine necessary measures.

The then Awami League regime deployed the army on July 19, 2024, imposing a curfew as protests over quota reforms in government jobs turned violent.

After the Awami League regime was ousted on August 5, 2024, amid a student-led mass uprising and the collapse of the police force, the army remained deployed to assist the civil administration.

The interim government led by Muhammad Yunus assumed office on August 8, 2024, and granted judicial powers to the army on September 17.

Army chief General Waker-Uz-Zaman said in August 2024 that the army wanted to return to barracks and would do so once the police were reorganised.

Some troops began to be withdrawn from November 2025, officials said.

However, army personnel remained deployed during the February 12 elections.

On February 16, a day before the BNP-led government headed by Tarique Rahman assumed office, the army chief said that the forces would return to barracks once the new government took charge.

According to ministry officials, around 17,000 troops are still deployed across the country.

The defence ministry had repeatedly requested the home ministry to withdraw all personnel, citing fatigue from prolonged deployment and the need for rest. Amid this, the core committee decided to withdraw all troops from field operations.

The home ministry will formally inform the defence ministry through an official letter, after which the latter will take the necessary steps.

The meeting also discussed journalists arrested following the July uprising and decided not to oppose bail for those not involved in serious offences. Authorities were also instructed not to harass journalists seeking to travel abroad.

The meeting also reviewed the outcome of the West Bengal state assembly elections in India and directed authorities to strengthen security in border areas in the coming days.

The meeting was also attended by the inspector general of police, the Dhaka Metropolitan Police commissioner, the director general of Border Guard Bangladesh, and officials from various agencies.​
 

4 get death, 9 life terms over army officer Tanzim murder

Staff Correspondent & Correspondent

1779331136849.webp


Deceased Army Lieutenant Tanzim Sarwar ISPR

A court has sentenced four defendants to death in the murder case of Army officer Lieutenant Tanzim Sarwar Nirjan (23) in Chakaria, Cox's Bazar.

In addition, nine defendants have been sentenced to life imprisonment. Five individuals have been acquitted due to a lack of involvement in the incident.

This verdict was given by Judge Mohammad Abul Mansur Siddiqui of the Additional District and Sessions Judge (Fifth) Court in Cox's Bazar at around 12 pm today, Wednesday.

The defendants sentenced to death are Md Helal Uddin, son of Jafar Alam, Nasir Uddin, son of Abdul Malek, Morshed Alam, son of Abul Kalam Kabiraj, and Nurul Amin, son of deceased Kamal Hossain, all from the same union of Ringvong Sagir Shah Kata area in Chakaria Upazila’s Dulahazara Union.

Among them, Morshed Alam is absconding.

Additional Public Prosecutor Khurshid Alam Chowdhury confirmed the verdict to Prothom Alo.

He stated that the court delivered the judgment after lengthy hearings, review of testimonies, and evidence.

The verdict of another related arms case was also delivered simultaneously.

In that case, 13 defendants have been sentenced to 17 years of imprisonment under two separate charges. Like the murder case, five defendants were acquitted in this case too.

On the night of 23 September 2024, Lieutenant Tanzim Sarwar of the army lost his life in a stabbing incident while conducting an operation to prevent robbery in the Purba Maizpara area of Dulahazara union in Chakaria Upazila.

On 25 September, a murder case, including preparation for robbery, was filed against 17 individuals by Senior Warrant Officer Abdullah Al Harunur Rashid of the army.

Later, Sub-Inspector Alamgir Hossain of Chakaria Police Station filed another case against the same defendants under the Arms Act.

After an investigation of four months, a charge sheet against 18 individuals was presented to the court on 19 January of the previous year.

The defendants sentenced to life imprisonment in the murder case are Jalal Uddin, son of Nurul Kabir from Kahariyaghona area of Chakaria Municipality, Md Anwar Hakim from Bharamuhoori area, Mohammad Arif Ullah, son of deceased Shohar Mulluk from Uchitaar Bill area of Fasiakhali union in Chakaria Upazila, Jiyabul Karim, son of Muzaffar Ahmed from Purba Maizpara area of Dulahazara Union, Md Ismail Hossain, son of Nurul Alam, Enamul Haque, son of deceased Nurul Alam from Purba Dumkhali area, Mohammad Enam, son of deceased Nurul Islam from Rangmahal area, Md Kamal, son of Nur Alam, and Abdul Karim, son of Golam Kader from Sagir Shah Kata area.

In the arms case, 13 individuals, including the four sentenced to death, have been given prison sentences.

The individuals acquitted in both cases include Md Sadek, son of Khairuzzaman from Uchitarbil area of Fasiakhali Union, Anwarul Islam, son of Jalal Uddin from Purba Palakata area of Chakaria Municipality, Shah Alam, son of Syed Ahmed from the same area, Abu Hanif, son of deceased Ibrahim Khalil, and Minhaj Uddin, son of Abdul Jalil from Anshangjhiri area of Lama Upazila, Bandarban.

State Prosecutor Khurshid Alam Chowdhury stated that there were 52 witnesses for the prosecution in the murder case, who were cross-examined by the defence. In contrast, there were 46 witnesses in the arms case, with 7 defence witnesses. The court evaluated everything before delivering the verdict.

When asked, plaintiff's lawyer Tauhidul Ehesan said that this verdict will be considered as groundbreaking in restoring order in society. During the announcement of the verdict, 12 out of 18 defendants were present in court. Among the four sentenced to death, three are in prison, while an individual named Morshed Alam is absconding.

Lieutenant Colonel Tanzim's home is in the Tangail district. He was commissioned in the Army Service Corps (ASC) from the Bangladesh Military Academy in 2022 through the 82nd long-term course.​
 

Latest Posts

Back