🇮🇷 Iran VS Israel

Site is back up.

Be apart of something great, join today! We are still updating some fixes.

G   Iranian Defense Forum

Saif

Jan 24, 2024
Origin

Residence

Axis Group

Iran warns of 'consequences' of Israeli attacks on Lebanon
Agence France-Presse . Tehran 28 July, 2024, 13:56

1722210623152.png

Israeli security forces gather near a site where a reported strike from Lebanon fell in Majdal Shams village in the Israeli-annexed Golan area on July 27, 2024. | AFP photo
Iran on Sunday warned Israel that any new military 'adventures' in Lebanon could lead to 'unforeseen consequences'.

Israel blamed Tehran-backed Hezbollah for a deadly rocket strike in the Israel-annexed Golan Heights.

'Any ignorant action of the Zionist regime can lead to the broadening of the scope of instability, insecurity and war in the region,' said foreign ministry spokesman Nasser Kanani.

He added that Israel will be responsible for 'the unforeseen consequences and reactions to such stupid behaviour'.

Hezbollah, which on Saturday claimed multiple attacks on Israeli military positions following a deadly raid on southern Lebanon, has denied responsibility for the rocket fire that Israeli authorities said killed 12 people including children in the Druze town of Majdal Shams.

Kanani accused Israel of pinning the blame on Hezbollah 'to divert public opinion and world attention from its massive crimes' in the Gaza Strip, where war has raged since October 7.

He added that Israel 'does not have the least moral authority to comment' on the deaths in Majdal Shams, on the Golan Heights which the country seized from Syria in 1967 and later annexed in a move not recognised by the United Nations.

Iran does not recognise Israel and has made support for the Palestinian cause a centrepiece of its foreign policy since the 1979 Islamic revolution.

The Islamic republic has hailed Hamas's October 7 attack on Israel that sparked the Gaza war but denied any involvement.​

Iran, allies plan joint retaliation against Israel
Say sources, analysts

Iran and armed groups backed by it are preparing coordinated action meant to deter Israel but avert all-out war, sources and analysts said, after the killings of top Hamas and Hezbollah figures.

On Wednesday, Iranian officials met in Tehran with representatives of the so-called "axis of resistance" -- a loose alliance of Tehran-backed groups hostile to Israel -- to discuss retaliation for the deaths of Hamas's leader and Hezbollah's top military commander, said a source close to Lebanese group.

"Two scenarios were discussed: a simultaneous response from Iran and its allies or a staggered response from each party," the source who had been briefed on the meeting told AFP, requesting anonymity to discuss sensitive matters.

Iran's supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei threatened a "harsh punishment" for the killing of Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh in Tehran, which the group blamed on Israel, also vowing revenge.

Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah was speaking yesterday at the funeral of Fuad Shukr, the group's top commander leading operations in Lebanon's south, where the group has been exchanging near-daily fire with Israel since the Gaza offensive began in October.

"There is a very strong likelihood that the response will be coordinated... among other resistance actors," said Amal Saad, a Hezbollah researcher and lecturer at Britain's Cardiff University.​

US announces deployment of more warships in Mideast
Agence France-Presse . Washington 03 August, 2024, 22:11

1722730571920.png

| AFP file photo

The United States will bolster its military presence in the Middle East, deploying additional warships and fighter jets to protect US personnel and defend Israel amid soaring tensions in the region, the Pentagon said Friday.

The announcement comes after Iran and its regional allies vowed retaliation for the killings of a Hamas leader in Tehran and a Hezbollah commander in Beirut, fueling fears of a broader Middle East conflict.

'The Department of Defense continues to take steps to mitigate the possibility of regional escalation by Iran or Iran's partners and proxies,' deputy Pentagon Press Secretary Sabrina Singh said in a statement.

'Since the horrific Hamas attack on Israel on October 7, the Secretary of Defense has reiterated that the United States will protect our personnel and interests in the region, including our ironclad commitment to the defense of Israel.'

The aircraft carrier strike group led by the USS Abraham Lincoln will replace one helmed by the USS Theodore Roosevelt in the region, Singh said.

Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin has also ordered additional ballistic missile defense-capable cruisers and destroyers to the Middle East and areas under US European Command, as well as a new fighter squadron to the Middle East.

Israel killed Hezbollah commander Fuad Shukr in Beirut on Tuesday, a move it said was a response to deadly rocket fire last week on the annexed Golan Heights.

Hours later, Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh was killed in the Iranian capital—an attack on which Israel has not yet commented.

A source close to Hezbollah told AFP that Iranian officials met in Tehran on Wednesday with representatives of the so-called 'axis of resistance,' a loose alliance of Tehran-backed groups hostile to Israel, to discuss their next steps.

'Two scenarios were discussed: a simultaneous response from Iran and its allies or a staggered response from each party,' said the source, who had been briefed on the meeting, requesting anonymity to discuss sensitive matters.

In April, Iran carried out its first direct attack on Israeli soil, firing a barrage of drones and missiles after a strike blamed on Israel killed Revolutionary Guards at Tehran's consulate in Damascus.

American forces helped defend Israel against the attack.

'As we have demonstrated since October and again in April, the United States' global defense is dynamic and the Department of Defense retains the capability to deploy on short notice to meet evolving national security threats,' Singh said.

'The United States also remains intently focused on de-escalating tensions in the region and pushing for a ceasefire as part of a hostage deal to bring the hostages home and end the war in Gaza.'​

The reports from many sources suggest Irans given its proxies downgraded weaponry on purpose. If the actual anti ship ballistic missile gets used on a nuke carrier, that carrier would be no more!

More importantly if the nuke core of that carrier gets compromised, it will be an ecological and environmental disaster for the Houthis or Hezbollah or kataib or PMUs or even the Israeli.

Iran can’t be held responsible if a missile finds a bad target and there is a catastrophe.

Most Iranian missiles ‘miss’ da targets because of the likelihood of global condemnation.

I’ve initiated a discussion on our other forum that if Iran is having one hell of a time penetrating IDF defenses, what hope in hell do other chumps like India or China have in trying to emulate Iran? 😝👍

There generally is silence but the Indians get unnerved because of the seriousness of this question.

Facts are that countries like India or even China with third class weaponry have sweet fukk all chance of beating the worlds strongest ABM and anti drone defenses. It’s fairly obvious. They don’t got jack shiit!

All of Chinese and Indian weaponry don’t even got the reach let alone the capability to penetrate western ABM defenses installed in Israel.

The silence is quite telling on our other forum.

It’s a sad reminder of how far behind Iran we all are in conducting modern warfare.

Iran penetrates IDF defenses on a daily basis. Our jharrnail need to get a reality check on how pathetic our situation will be if we are asked to do what the Iranians doing daily.

Does anyone understand the seriousness of this reality?

We need a conference in Pakistan on how warfare is changing and how far behind we actually are from the leading global powers.

Last edited:
I’ve initiated a discussion on our other forum that if Iran is having one hell of a time penetrating IDF defenses, what hope in hell do other chumps like India or China have in trying to emulate Iran? 😝👍

There generally is silence but the Indians get unnerved because of the seriousness of this question.

Facts are that countries like India or even China with third class weaponry have sweet fukk all chance of beating the worlds strongest ABM and anti drone defenses. It’s fairly obvious. They don’t got jack shiit!

All of Chinese and Indian weaponry don’t even got the reach let alone the capability to penetrate western ABM defenses installed in Israel.

The silence is quite telling on our other forum.

It’s a sad reminder of how far behind Iran we all are in conducting modern warfare.

Iran penetrates IDF defenses on a daily basis. Our jharrnail need to get a reality check on how pathetic our situation will be if we are asked to do what the Iranians doing daily.

Does anyone understand the seriousness of this reality?

We need a conference in Pakistan on how warfare is changing and how far behind we actually are from the leading global powers.
I must respectfully disagree with you, Sir LullDaPull.

I fail to understand why you consider Iran to be a "Tees Maar Khan." I am sorry but Iran is nothing more than a force of resistance. As a realistic person, I am surprised by your comparisons of Iran with Pakistan, India, and China. Your assessment of Iran's technological capabilities seems flawed, and I urge you to please reconsider your opinion.

Pakistan and India, despite being adversaries, recognise each other's strengths and weaknesses. As a Pakistani, I cannot dismiss the effectiveness of the Agni ballistic missiles, and Indians similarly acknowledge the capabilities of Ababeel and Shaheen.

Both Pakistan and China possess battle-proven aircraft such as the JF-17s and F-16s, while Iran has struggled to modernise its arsenal. Their primary focus is on proxy wars, as they are aware of their limitations in direct conflict. Please reconsider your stance, as countries like China are now competing on par with technologically advanced nations like the US and Europe, while Iran, despite its advancements in the tech industry, can barely upgrade its four-decade-old jets, which can still fly, albeit surprisingly. So when you make statements like Iran is ahead of China and Chinese hardware is junk, it is not true

The fear factor of Iran’s technological improvements is the same as the one for North Korea. Both are not battle proven and claim to be a lot. But it is more likely to be exaggeration. But it is difficult choice to make because most likely their technology is not as par with other countries but what if it is? That question mark demotivates nations like US and Israel.

Countries like Pakistan and India on the other hand has a history of tests and the whole world knows the capabilities and even countries like America cannot refuse to acknowledge this strength. For example when Pakistan conducted nuclear tests in 1998, after a couple of minutes, Americans had acknowledged successful nuclear test by Pakistan. The only question was the severity, the size of the nuclear bomb but the test itself was immediate recognise by the Europe. On the other hand, Koreans did the test several times but the west refused to acknowledge it as they considered the test was failed. Iran on the other hand never tried otherwise it would have been known.

I love Iran and wish them goodwill but it doesn’t mean you compare them with proven technologies of Pakistan, India or China. It’s embarrassing and then I can’t thank your post

This post is written with the help of ChatGPT. Thank you

Last edited:

I fail to understand why you consider Iran to be a "Tees Maar Khan." I am sorry but Iran is nothing more than a force of resistance. As a realistic person, I am surprised by your comparisons of Iran with Pakistan, India, and China. Your assessment of Iran's technological capabilities seems flawed, and I urge you to please reconsider your opinion.

Pakistan and India, despite being adversaries, recognise each other's strengths and weaknesses. As a Pakistani, I cannot dismiss the effectiveness of the Agni ballistic missiles, and Indians similarly acknowledge the capabilities of Ababeel and Shaheen.

Both Pakistan and China possess battle-proven aircraft such as the JF-17s and F-16s, while Iran has struggled to modernise its arsenal. Their primary focus is on proxy wars, as they are aware of their limitations in direct conflict. Please reconsider your stance, as countries like China are now competing on par with technologically advanced nations like the US and Europe, while Iran, despite its advancements in the tech industry, can barely upgrade its four-decade-old jets, which can still fly, albeit surprisingly. So when you make statements like Iran is ahead of China and Chinese hardware is junk, it is not true

The fear factor of Iran’s technological improvements is the same as the one for North Korea. Both are not battle proven and claim to be a lot. But it is more likely to be exaggeration. But it is difficult choice to make because most likely their technology is not as par with other countries but what if it is? That question mark demotivates nations like US and Israel.

Countries like Pakistan and India on the other hand has a history of tests and the whole world knows the capabilities and even countries like America cannot refuse to acknowledge this strength. For example when Pakistan conducted nuclear tests in 1998, after a couple of minutes, Americans had acknowledged successful nuclear test by Pakistan. The only question was the severity, the size of the nuclear bomb but the test itself was immediate recognise by the Europe. On the other hand, Koreans did the test several times but the west refused to acknowledge it as they considered the test was failed. Iran on the other hand never tried otherwise it would have been known.

I love Iran and wish them goodwill but it doesn’t mean you compare them with proven technologies of Pakistan, India or China. It’s embarrassing and then I can’t thank your post

او بھائی ہم نے آج تک ایک میزائیل نہیں چلایا ہے جنگ مین۔ اور نہ کبھی انڈیا نہ کبھی کبھی چین نہ۔

اسرائیل کے اے بی ایم دفاع کو شکست دینا کوئی آسان کام نہیں ہے۔

اس میزائل یا ڈرون شوبے مین ہمارا کوئی تاجوربہ نہیں ہے۔

ایران ڈیلی ہملے کرتا ہے ڈرون اور میزیل سے۔ ایران کا بوہت تاجوربہ ہے اور اپنا تمم میزیل اور ڈرون خود بناتا ہے۔

Last edited:

Not a a bad assessment. Might I add that, unlike the Pakistanis, Iranians do not have strong battle tactics. I commend Hamas, Hezbollah, Iran and other resistance groups like the Houthis for playing smart long-term gameplay and making critical decisions in the grand scheme of things - but I do not see them as battle hardened and wise as the Pakistani military in battle tactics. Pakistan can outwit many opponents in the ground-to-ground battlefield. While, if Iran went for a full fledged war with Israel, it would be outclassed in battle tactics (also due to the fact that the Israelis play dirty).

Check this out folks........I believe Iran's planning some sort of a repeat of Oct 7th. An operation that will kill thousands of Israeli's. If this works, Israel's back will be broken:

او بھائی ہم نے آج تک ایک میزائیل نہیں چلایا ہے جنگ مین۔ اور نہ کبھی انڈیا نہ کبھی کبھی چین نہ۔

ایران ڈیلی ہملے کرتا ہے ڈرون اور میزیل سے۔ ایران کا بوہت تاجوربہ ہے اور اپنا تمم میزیل اور ڈرون خود بناتا ہے۔
Sir China ne nuclear bomb 1960s main test kiya tha. Unko 4 generations ka experience hai nuclear and missile technology main.. poori duniya ne China ke tests ko closely monitor kiya hai aur uski capabilities ko tasleem kiya hai. Wo North Korea is tarha Hawa main claim nahi karta, duniya ko pata hai Chinese technology ka.

Pakistan pe bhi Ilzam lag jata raha hai ke Chinese missiles ko repaint kiya hai ya North Korean design hai… lakin Pakistan bhi in missiles ko pichle 30 saal se use kar raha hai.. aur Pakistan ka bhi bohat experience hai aur duniya manti hai hamare missiles ko. Ye sab public data sa hai jahan experts ne evaluate kiya hai aur apna input diya hai in ki potency pe. Wo chahay simple ballistic missile ho ya phir MIRV or cruise missiles hon.

Iran ki situation Zara alag hai… Iran ko Chinese ne nahi diya.. unko banana para hai is liye unki progress Zara slow hai… lakin duniya Iranian missiles ko ab acknowledge karti hai.. ye hamari generation ki baat hai.. lakin comparing them with the technologies of countries who have been using them for over 3-6 decades is not right. Iran is probably producing very good missiles but you can’t say that the other missiles are bad.without any evidence

Iran, allies ready Israel response as funerals held for militant leaders
AFP Tehran, Iran
Published: 02 Aug 2024, 08: 52

1722817287276.png

Water mist is sprayed as Iranians take part in a funeral procession for late Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh, in Tehran, on 1 August, 2024, ahead of his burial in QatarAFP

Iran and its regional allies vowed retaliation on Thursday for the deaths of Hamas and Hezbollah leaders, raising regional tensions as mourners filled Tehran's city centre calling for revenge.

A public funeral was held for Hamas's political chief Ismail Haniyeh in the Iranian capital where he was killed early Wednesday in an attack which Israel has not commented on.

Haniyeh's body was then flown to Qatar, where he had resided and where he is to be laid to rest on Friday, when his group called for a "day of furious rage" in the Palestinian territories and across the region.

Hezbollah chief Hassan Nasrallah, addressing the funeral of the Lebanese group's top military commander, said Israel and "those who are behind it must await our inevitable response" to Fuad Shukr's and Haniyeh's killings within hours of each other.

"You do not know what red lines you crossed," Nasrallah said, addressing Israel, a day after Shukr was killed in a strike in south Beirut.

Israel, which said Shukr's assassination was a response to deadly rocket fire last week on the annexed Golan Heights, warned its adversaries on Thursday they would "pay a very high price" for any "aggression".

"Israel is at a very high level of preparation for any scenario, both defensive and offensive," Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said in a statement.

"Those who attack us, we will attack in return."

A source close to Hezbollah told AFP that Iranian officials met in Tehran on Wednesday with representatives of the so-called "axis of resistance", a loose alliance of Tehran-backed groups hostile to Israel, to discuss their next steps.

"Two scenarios were discussed: a simultaneous response from Iran and its allies or a staggered response from each party," said the source who had been briefed on the meeting, requesting anonymity to discuss sensitive matters.

The leader of Yemen's Iran-backed Huthi rebels vowed a "military response" to Israel's "major escalation".

Analysts told AFP that the retaliation would be measured to avoid a wider conflagration.

Iran and the groups it backs "will more than likely try to avert a war, while also strongly deterring Israel from continuing with this new policy, this targeted shock and awe," said Amal Saad, a Hezbollah researcher and lecturer at Britain's Cardiff University.

In Tehran, Iran's supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei led prayers for Haniyeh having earlier threatened "harsh punishment" for his killing.

'Roaring marches'

Crowds, including women shrouded in black, carried posters of Haniyeh and Palestinian flags in a procession and ceremony that began at Tehran University, an AFP correspondent reported.

Senior Iranian officials, including President Masoud Pezeshkian and Revolutionary Guards chief General Hossein Salami, attended the ceremony, state television images showed.

Iran's Revolutionary Guards announced the day before that Haniyeh and a bodyguard were killed in a pre-dawn strike Wednesday on their accommodation in Tehran.

The New York Times however reported, citing anonymous sources including two Iranian officials, that the blast was caused by an explosive device planted several months ago.

When asked about the report, Israeli military spokesman Daniel Hagari told reporters "there was no other Israeli aerial attack... in all the Middle East" on the night of Shukr's killing.

Qatar-based Haniyeh had been visiting Tehran for Pezeshkian's swearing-in on Tuesday.

Pezeshkian said Iran "will continue to support with firmer determination the axis of resistance", the official IRNA news agency said.

Qatar-based network Al Jazeera reported that the plane carrying Haniyeh's body had landed in Doha, where the Palestinian leader is to be buried following prayers at the Qatari capital's largest mosque.

Hamas called in a statement for a day of protests on Friday.

"Let roaring anger marches start from every mosque," it said.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan called Haniyeh a "martyr" and announced a national day of mourning on Friday "in solidarity with the Palestinian cause". Pakistan too announced a national day of mourning.

300-day war

The international community has called for calm and a focus on securing a ceasefire in the Gaza Strip -- which Haniyeh had accused Israel of obstructing.

United Nations chief Antonio Guterres said the strikes in Tehran and Beirut represented a "dangerous escalation".

In a phone call, the foreign ministers of Jordan and Egypt blamed Israel for rising tensions and called for "de-escalation", Jordan's official Petra news agency reported.

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken reiterated appeals for an end to fighting and said achieving peace "starts with a ceasefire".

But the prime minister of key ceasefire broker Qatar said Haniyeh's killing had thrown the whole Gaza war mediation process into doubt.

"How can mediation succeed when one party assassinates the negotiator on the other side?" Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al-Thani said on social media site X.

US President Joe Biden will speak to Netanyahu later on Thursday, the White House said.

The killings are the latest of several major incidents that have inflamed regional tensions during the Gaza war which has drawn in Iran-backed militant groups in Syria, Lebanon, Iraq and Yemen.

Beyond Gaza, clashes continued on Thursday with Lebanese authorities reporting four Syrians killed in an Israeli strike, followed by Hezbollah announcing a barrage of "dozens" of rockets at Israel.

Israel has vowed to destroy Hamas in retaliation for its October 7 attack that resulted in the deaths of 1,197 people, mostly civilians, according to an AFP tally based on official Israeli figures.

Militants also seized 251 hostages, 111 of whom are still held captive in Gaza, including 39 the military says are dead.

Concern over the fate of those still held has grown among Israelis, who demonstrated demanding a deal to free them in Tel Aviv on Thursday, marking the war's 300th day.

Israel's retaliatory campaign against Hamas has killed at least 39,480 people in Gaza, according to the Hamas-run territory's health ministry, which does not give details of civilian and militant deaths.​

also Sir,

If Iran had MIRV missiles in its arsenal, it would have been helpful to engage the Iron Dome. I am talking about the technology which Iran does not have in 2024 and Pakistan has been using it for the last 15 years and China has had that technology since 1965.

also Sir,

If Iran had MIRV missiles in its arsenal, it would have been helpful to engage the Iron Dome. I am talking about the technology which Iran does not have in 2024 and Pakistan has been using it for the last 15 years and China has had that technology since 1965.
Paa G China chickunn da aik weapon aaj tak kamyaab ne hoya dushmana de khilaaf!

I believe our jharrnail now figuring this out too.

All wes been sold over da last 50 years is not war winning technology you know?

Our armed forces are weak......because we have largely untested chinese weapons.

If we fire our Abdali or Shaheen missile at Israel right now, it will 100% get intercepted. And our small nuke warhead will be wasted.

You understand me, don't you?

Taanu samajh ne aata k Irani battle these harami Israheeli kuttiyaan daily, and we have no such experience no? All we got is third class chinese obsolete weapons from 1990/ 2000 era vintage.

We are in serious trouble bhai, our nuke deterrent and strategic forces and pretty much everything else is an untested/ unproven laughable joke!

Paa G China chickunn da aik weapon aaj tak kamyaab ne hoya dushmana de khilaaf!

I believe our jharrnail now figuring this out too.

All wes been sold over da last 50 years is not war winning technology you know?

Our armed forces are weak......because we have largely untested chinese weapons.

If we fire our Abdali or Shaheen missile at Israel right now, it will 100% get intercepted. And our small nuke warhead will be wasted.

You understand me, don't you?

Taanu samajh ne aata k Irani battle these harami Israheeli kuttiyaan daily, and we have no such experience no? All we got is third class chinese obsolete weapons from 1990/ 2000 era vintage.

We are in serious trouble bhai, our nuke deterrent and strategic forces and pretty much everything else is an untested/ unproven laughable joke!
Sir tussi sachay ho

Mujhe Lagta hai ke jo Banda aap ke ghar akhbaar phainknay aata tha wo baad main mere ghar akhbaar phainkne se pehle front page ghayab kar leta tha

Is liye jo khabar aap ke ghar pohanchi hai wo meri akhbar main nahi likhi hoti thee

Sir tussi sachay ho

Mujhe Lagta hai ke jo Banda aap ke ghar akhbaar phainknay aata tha wo baad main mere ghar akhbaar phainkne se pehle front page ghayab kar leta tha

Is liye jo khabar aap ke ghar pohanchi hai wo meri akhbar main nahi likhi hoti thee
Sir G seedhi seedhi gal hae gee no? The ones who fight with opponents who are advanced nations, then you get real world useful experience no?

We don’t have any such experience and we not getting any either.

Our weapons are from a second rate supplier, who himself has no war experience.

What more can I say bhai? Chinese drones have a very poor combat record in the Middle East and their missiles have even worse record.

I can post articles here, if you like? China drones koi ne khareed ra! Na koi Chinese jahaz khareedta hae aur na koi Indian weapons khareedta hae.

😝

Sub nu pata hae that these are all second and third rate weapons which won’t work during war. They might work against talibunny or baloch insurgents, but they will never work against a near peer power.

Last edited:
Guys check da news. FBI's arrested some Karachi gujju memon bhai going by the name of Asif Merchant in a plot to kill Trump. And he's sayin that Iranis hired him to do it...... :p

Israel-Iran: Hell on earth
Israel can injure Iran, but it cannot beat Iran. It would even be a tough shot for the US.

1723706675210.png

Illustration: Salman Sakib Shahryar

Iran's retaliatory attacks in the weekend on Israeli soil, had brought the world to a standstill, as Israel's allies rushed to take down hundreds of drones and missiles. It was the US, not Israel, that shot down most of Iran's drones; the Pentagon coordinated a multinational region-wide defense from northern Iraq to the southern Persian gulf. Had merely one missile gotten through to kill Israelis, the war clouds darkening the skies over the Middle East would've caused a black-out in the region. While parallels with World War I may seem contrived, Iran's attacks on Israel have shifted the strategic reality in the region.

The media is filled with debates about whether the attack was a success or a failure, and who won and who lost. Iran managed to hit two military targets on the ground in Israel, including Nevatim Air Base. Scott Ritter, a former United Nations Special Commission (UNSC) inspector analysing the attack, has said, "There is no other place on the planet, not the White House, not the Kremlin, that has the level and density of sophisticated anti-ballistic missiles than Nevatim Air Field. My understanding is that Iran launched 7 missiles, 2 of them were probably shot down but 5 hit despite all of this." He further added, "This should prove to everybody, Israeli and American alike, that there is no defense against Iranian missiles."

While assessing the historic attack, Iran's domestic political factors must also be factored into the geopolitical equation. Recently, there has been a resurgence of Shia supremacists in Iran such as the Paydari Front, similar to the Zionists sitting in the Israeli cabinet. The head of Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), Major General Hossein Salami, has also said the regime is now moving away from "strategic patience," and working with "a new equation." It is unclear whether Iran would risk a full-blown costly war, and whether their bellicose rhetoric will be another warning, steering clear of casualties, like their salvo of hundreds of drones was. But an emotional Israel that crosses the line has the potential to unleash catastrophe.

On one end, Netanyahu may be tempted to bargain with Biden, and hold off on Iran, provided that Washington supports its planned offensive against Rafah. The other option is pretty straightforward: a direct airstrike on Iran, which would inevitably drag the US into it. The Israeli government, in their own words, has claimed they are a "nation of lions," and vowed to "exact a price." That price comes either at the cost of the Biden administration or the US security itself or both. — Ramisa Rob

Israel's allies are now scrambling, working around the clock, to convince Israel to restrain after cleaning up its mess all weekend. The road ahead, that we are looking at, could potentially lead to a war that every world power is looking to avoid, but one that could be inevitable if there is any miscalculation on either side testing the tolerance of the other. To note: when we speak about Israel's response, we must also factor in the US fully, and the rest of the West to an extent. And when we speak about Iran, we are also talking about Russia—which exports Iran's Shahed drones and has used it to great effect in Ukraine—and consider China, as demonstrated by Iran's BRICS membership last year.

Iran's retaliation to Israel's deadly attack on its Consulate shares an eerie similarity to its response to the assassination of its top general, Qassim Soleimani, in 2020, by the US. Iran attacked two US air bases in Iraq, avoiding casualties, and received no further retaliation from the US. While the optics of Iran's attacks on Israel seem disproportionate, its actual toll with one serious injury, compared to 110 injured troops in 2020 is far less. The Western media at the time, took to rebuking Trump for escalating tensions with Iran; New York Times published reports that loudly declared, "Seven days in January: How Trump Pushed US and Iran to the Brink of War." By contrast, on Tuesday, April 17, a leaked memo from the NYT, obtained by The Intercept, shows that the paper's editors and deputies handed out directives to their journalists, restricting them to use words like "genocide," and "ethnic cleansing," and avoid using the phrase "occupied land" when describing Palestinian land.

Other previously credible, liberal outlets—or perhaps it's more accurate to describe them now as pro-Biden or pro-Dem—such as Vox, ran analyses in 2020, interviewed defence experts, to establish that a war between the US and Iran would look like "hell on earth." Where are those punchy articles now though? Where's the rebuke for Netanyahu that they had so emphatically extended to Trump? The same Vox, at the aftermath of an-edge-of-the-cliff-situation provoked by Netanyahu's government, has concluded, "Israel beat Iran—for now."

If Donald Trump is a threat to US national security—which he surely is—why isn't Netanyahu and Israel not being called as one, especially by the New York Times? It's important to learn from the history of the Trump-Iran face-off in January 2020, and understand that the restraint from the US to not further retaliate avoided what could've been "hell on earth." Netanyahu and the Israeli government which provoked this paradigm shift from a shadow war to a direct conflict, for the worse, is a grave threat to US national security. Iran sent a message in their attacks on Israel: "Control." The message was clearly intended to the US too, because Tehran's long-held strategic aim has been to end the US presence in a region it seeks to dominate. The US' backing of Israel in its genocide in Gaza has created the perfect excuse for Iran to advance that strategy, and it shows.

According to analysts, Netanyahu has two options that serve his political interest, that of perpetual war as the minute the war ends in Gaza, so does his political career. On one end, Netanyahu may be tempted to bargain with Biden, and hold off on Iran, provided that Washington supports its planned offensive against Rafah. The other option is pretty straightforward: a direct airstrike on Iran, which would inevitably drag the US into it.

The Israeli government, in their own words, has claimed they are a "nation of lions," and vowed to "exact a price." That price comes either at the cost of the Biden administration or the US security itself or both. Joe Biden's choices are either to back Israel's advance on Rafah and ruin his 50-years of a career to Trump, or risk his nation being dragged into a war with Iran. Whether he realises it—or is willing to admit it—or not, Netanyahu played Biden like a fiddle.

Biden's confusing actions in the aftermath of the Iran attacks reflect the tremendous pressure he is under. After announcing that the US would not participate in any counteroffensive against Iran, later on Sunday, Biden pushed the House of Representatives and Senators to pass additional wartime funding and military aid to Israel. The Biden administration is in a geopolitical mess created by Israel, as well as its own deplorable sponsorship of Israel's genocide on Gaza—the root of this mess.

Let's elaborate further on the dilemmas hovering over Biden's head. On one hand, he has an election to win soon, and further backing Israel's genocide in Gaza would highly increase the chances of his lengthy political tenure ending with the label "Genocide Joe." On the other hand, the US directly engaging in Israel's war with Iran would be disastrous, both geopolitically and strategically. Economically, it would cause a hike in oil prices and lead to a further global economic downturn. If the US chooses to isolate Israel, it would risk a divorce with its biggest ally. And if the US chooses to back Israel's conflagration with Iran, it runs the risk of isolating itself with Western democracies who might pursue sensible diplomatic outreach to Iran to not entangle themselves in a costly and deadly war, with the exception of the UK, of course.

Biden's best option is to engage in dialogue with Tehran. And that includes a compromise with Israel, or bending down to Israel. Either way, Biden loses.

Iran will not capitulate from retaliation; it will only accelerate the current spiral. This is all leaving morality aside. The best course of action is what Biden should've done a long time ago: demanded a halt in Israel's bombardment in Gaza, and forced Israel to normalise with Arab nations with whom it shares animosity against Iran, and recognise Palestinian statehood. But that ship has sailed far out of reach.

In a way, Israel's selfish Netanyahu has been a gift for Iran, and Biden's first mistake was handing out a carte blanche to Netanyahu's Israel—which simply, and immensely, does not care about the US. Further US military aid to Israel now, will undoubtedly aggravate the genocide in Gaza and even give ammunition to Israel to poke Iran more and find an excuse to divert the war to a wider conflict. Giving Israel weapons right now will be another big mistake by Biden. Does one give guns to serial killers and expect them to be peaceful with them?

Aside from Israel's response to Iran directly, the tensions brewing between Israel and Hezbollah, Iran's proxy in Lebanon—which is also the most strongly armed non-state actor, with 150,000 missiles and rockets—is another front that has the potential to erupt into a wider war between Iran and Israel. After more than six months of near-daily attacks between the armed group and Israel, on Monday, April 15, Hezbollah for the first time, claimed responsibility for detonating planted explosives when a group of Israeli soldiers crossed into Lebanon. Four Israeli soldiers have reportedly been injured.

Militarily, Israel can severely injure Iran, particularly with its world's most potent Air Force, but it cannot necessarily "beat" Iran in war. Aside from Iran's vast network of proxies, it also has the numbers: more than half a million active-duty military personnel. Iran has built a long-range air defense system, Bavar-373. Its claimed capabilities are reportedly on par or better than those of the Russian S-300 or the US Patriot.

In the naval front, Iran has armed its recent Revolutionary Guards' navy with drones and its 600 mile range missiles. Russia, which possessed few drones at the start of its invasion of Ukraine, began using two types of Iran-made Shahed drones: the long-ranging Shahed-131 and Shahed-136. Furthermore, Iran's strengthening ties with Russia give the secretive nation a significant military edge and render it a more formidable enemy to defeat as Israeli leaders debate military retaliation, experts say. According to a recent report by the Washington Post, a delegation of Iranian officials visited a Russian factory last March, which has "anti-aircraft batteries—including Russia's S-400, which analysts assess to be capable of detecting and destroying stealth fighter jets flown by Israel and the United States."

Though Israel has significant missile stockpiles, Iran possesses the "largest and most diverse missile arsenal in the Middle East," according to the CSIS Missile Defense Project. The nation's longest-range platforms are ballistic missiles—Sejjil, Ghadr and Khorramshahr—which can reach targets to around 1,240 miles, including all of Israel.

And then there's the question of Iran's nuclear programme, which Iran denies while also arguing that it has the right to access "civil" nuclear energy. According to a report on US foreign policy on Iran, published this January by Congressional Report Service, Iran "reportedly increased its nuclear activities in the context of heightened regional tensions in late 2023." Regardless of whether the nation has a covert fortress of a nuclear programme, Iran's close ties with Russia, and China—with whom the US is entangled in a Cold War—provide the nation with heavyweight backers. An eruption of the conflict has the possibility to unite Russia and China on the Iran axis with their common interest to destroy US hegemony. The US' need for a highly measured, or even lack of response from Israel cannot be overstated.

Even for the US, engaging in a war with Iran would exhaust its resources. Pentagon officials in 2019, estimated that a strategy to destroy Iranian nuclear weapon facilities would require a minimum of 120,000 troops throughout the Middle East. The US would not be able to overwhelm the Iranian military capacity with a strategy reliant on air and naval power, even more so now that Iran has increased its military spending.

The US has clearly expressed it does not want war with Iran, which has also sent the same message. Israeli President Herzog has also said they are not seeking war but there's no predicting the leadership of Netanyahu and his cabinet with the likes of its Finance Minister Bezazel Smotrich who called for a retaliation that "resonates through the Middle East," and National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir who said Israel should "go crazy." The truth is, no one truly knows what lies ahead. Geopolitics is playing like a nail-biting game of chess, and if the action and reaction cycle continues, a slightly wrong move from any key player could tip the world over the edge.

Ramisa Rob is a journalist, in-charge of Geopolitical Insights at The Daily Star.​

Iran’s attacks on Israel: Bark, not bite
Now the problem is, Israel likes to bite.

1723706909412.png

US President Joe Biden meeting with members of the National Security team regarding the unfolding missile attacks on Israel from Iran, in Washington, DC on April 13, 2024. PHOTO: AFP

Between April 13 and 14, almost seven months into the genocidal war in Gaza, Iran launched a historic attack on Israel. Contrary to the narrative pushed forward by Israel and the West, Tehran's attack was not "unprovoked," but rather "retaliatory." Earlier this month, Israel hit the Iranian consulate in Damascus and killed two Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) generals and five officials. Iran's argument for the attack rests on the same premise that Israel has been (mis)using in its war in Gaza: the "inherent right" to self-defence, as enshrined in Article 51 of the UN Charter.

The scale of Iran's attack, however, was unprecedented. It was the single largest drone attack carried out by a country in global history. The tit-for-tat threats that have been exchanged between Iran and Israel-US laid the groundwork for this weekend's retaliatory strikes. Iranian proxies, the Houthis in Yemen and Hezbollah in Lebanon, have been in direct confrontation with Israel. Just last month, Israel carried out more airstrikes in Lebanon, taking the death toll to more than 240. Israel's airstrikes on Damascus were undoubtedly an escalation of its ongoing confrontation with Hezbollah. The reckless attack on a diplomatic site, in breach of the Vienna Convention, shows that Israel severely misjudged Iran's willingness to attack directly instead of through its proxies. Inadvertently, Israel forced Tehran to make the decision; if it had not responded and instead relied on its proxies, Tehran would have risked weakening itself and its allies against the threat of Israel. On the other hand, if Tehran had gone in too aggressively by utilising its maximum military capacity, Israel would have had the opportunity to leverage the damage to coerce the US into a regional war. In the end, Iran's response seems to have struck the right diplomatic balance, for now. Only time will tell if Tel Aviv is willing to breach Iran's newly drawn red lines.

There was plenty of warning for the aerial attacks, and even the nature of the attack. Both US intelligence officials and Iranian officials had told The New York Times on April 12, that Iran is expected to mount an attack on Israel soon, but they will steer clear of attacking US military forces in the Middle East to avoid inciting a direct conflict with the US—which is exactly what materialised.

The hundreds of ballistic missiles did not reach their target; in fact, they had little chance of success to begin with. When Iran launched its attack on Israel, from 1,000 miles away, it gave the Israeli defence system and the US forces in Jordan and Iraq more than enough time to prepare a fend-off. While the world held its breath as videos of Iranian drones and terrifying fireworks surfaced on social media, the attack seemed to have been designed to do just that: ignite fear, create a spectacle, and show symbolic muscle power.

If Iran had intended to cause more than the little damage that its attacks have done, they would've strategically targetted Israel through Hezbollah by unleashing the group's deadly arsenal reach. The geographical proximity of Lebanon and Israel would've also exhausted Israel's extensive air defence system. Tehran wanted to respond to the direct attacks on its consulate in order to reinstate itself as a threat, but it evidently did not want to escalate tensions further. Iran's attacks seem to have been choreographed to bark, not bite. Their significance lies in the symbolism of the country's first-ever direct attack on Israeli soil, after decades of being arch-enemies.

The US'diplomatic efforts, which have shaped the parameters and outcomes of the war in Gaza, conveyed two contrasting messages. The US publicly reassured Israel of its "ironclad commitment." On the other hand, Biden directed a warning to Netanyahu—who, at this point, appears as though he is Biden's errant, disobedient son—that the US will not participate in any Israeli counter-offensive against Iran. The Biden Administration cautioned Netanyahu against continuing the game of implicating the US in his personal wars. By doing so, the US has planted wedges between itself and its closest ally in the region. But this warning itself, when juxtaposed with the high degree of US intelligence on Iran's operation, suggests that the possibility of a back-channel engagement between Iran and Western leaders prior to the attacks cannot be completely ruled out. The US and Iran often exchange big resounding words, and mostly the word "don't." But so far, both seem withdrawn to drag Israel's genocidal war on Gaza into a Third World War. Even before Iran's drones had reached Israel on Saturday night, its mission to the United Nations mysteriously announced on X (formerly Twitter) that "the matter can be deemed concluded."

Though it caused little physical damage, one of the most significant damages of Iran's actions is leaving the world to again brace itself for a response from Israel, the magnitude of which will soon unfold. It's up to Israel now, and that phrase is more dangerous for the world than anything else; even for the US president, who has privately expressed concern that Netanyahu is trying to drag the world into a broader, wider conflict, according to top US officials. It is also worth noting that Netanyahu has clashed with previous US administrations over Iran, openly lobbying against former President Barack Obama's nuclear deal with Iran in 2015, before gaining success with the Trump administration.

"De-escalation," has been echoed by Saudi Arabia, the Arab states, the UN, and Israel's Western allies. But the response is up to the Israeli war cabinet, which is characteristically and catastrophically escalatory. Put simply, Israel likes to bite. The Biden administration has utterly failed to influence and de-escalate Israel's genocidal response to the October 7 Hamas attacks. This brotherly dialogue from the US to Israel, which can be summed up with the phrase "don't do something you'll regret," has not yet worked as Israel has shown no ounce of regret over their bloody campaign in Gaza. Israel has not abided by the UNSC ceasefire—where the US abstained—and the death toll of Gazans has now crossed 33,000 since October 7.

Israel's defence minister has stated, "It's not over yet." An Israeli official also told CNN that Israel is yet to determine whether to try and "break all the dishes" or do something more measured. As the United Nations Security Council met to discuss Iran's attack, Israeli forces again bombed the Nuseirat refugee camp in central Gaza, killing five and wounding dozens on Monday. So, the biggest damage that Iran's aerial attacks have done is taking the world's attention away from the genocide in Gaza. The world is now preoccupied to contain a wider spillover, while innocent Palestinians are being killed by raining Israeli bombs and starvation, because no world power has been able to stop the ruthless Israeli regime.

Ramisa Rob is a journalist at The Daily Star.

Afia Ibnat is a political analyst and executive member of Shorolota Foundation.​

Only Gaza ceasefire can delay Iran’s Israel response
REUTERS
Published :
Aug 13, 2024 18:26
Updated :
Aug 13, 2024 18:26

1723712329366.png

People walk past a banner with a picture of late Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh in a street in Tehran, Iran, August 12, 2024. Photo : Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via Reuters

Only a ceasefire deal in Gaza stemming from hoped-for talks this week would hold Iran back from direct retaliation against Israel for the assassination of Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh on its soil, three senior Iranian officials said.

Iran has vowed a severe response to Haniyeh’s killing, which took place as he visited Tehran late last month and which it blamed on Israel. Israel has neither confirmed or denied its involvement. The U.S. Navy has deployed warships and a submarine to the Middle East to bolster Israeli defenses.

One of the sources, a senior Iranian security official, said Iran, along with allies such as Hezbollah, would launch a direct attack if the Gaza talks fail or it perceives Israel is dragging out negotiations. The sources did not say how long Iran would allow for talks to progress before responding.

With an increased risk of a broader Middle East war after the killings of Haniyeh and Hezbollah commander Fuad Shukr, Iran has been involved in intense dialogue with Western countries and the United States in recent days on ways to calibrate retaliation, said the sources, who all spoke on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the matter.

In comments published on Tuesday, the U.S. ambassador to Turkey confirmed Washington was asking allies to help convince Iran to de-escalate tensions. Three regional government sources described conversations with Tehran to avoid escalation ahead of the Gaza ceasefire talks, due to begin on Thursday in either Egypt or Qatar.

“We hope our response will be timed and executed in a way that does not harm a potential ceasefire,” Iran’s mission to the U.N. said on Friday in a statement. Iran’s foreign ministry on Tuesday said calls to exercise restraint “contradict principles of international law.”

Iran’s foreign ministry and its Revolutionary Guards Corps did not immediately respond to questions for this story. The Israeli Prime Minister’s Office and the U.S. State Department did not respond to questions.

“Something could happen as soon as this week by Iran and its proxies... That is a U.S. assessment as well as an Israel assessment,” White House spokesperson John Kirby told reporters on Monday.

“If something does happen this week, the timing of it could certainly well have an impact on these talks we want to do on Thursday,” he added. At the weekend, Hamas cast doubt on whether talks would go ahead. Israel and Hamas have held several rounds of talks in recent months without agreeing a final ceasefire.

In Israel, many observers believe a response is imminent after Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said Iran would “harshly punish” Israel for the strike in Tehran.

Iran’s regional policy is set by the elite Revolutionary Guards, who answer only to Khamenei, the country’s top authority. Iran’s relatively moderate new president Masoud Pezeshkian has repeatedly reaffirmed Iran’s anti-Israel stance and its support for resistance movements across the region since taking office last month.

Meir Litvak, a senior researcher at Tel Aviv University’s Alliance Center for Iranian Studies, said he thought Iran would put its needs before helping its ally Hamas but that Iran also wanted to avoid a full-scale war.

“The Iranians never subordinated their strategy and policies to the needs of their proxies or protégées,” Litvak said. “An attack is likely and almost inevitable but I don’t know the scale and the timing.”

Iran-based analyst Saeed Laylaz said the Islamic Republic’s leaders were now keen to work towards a ceasefire in Gaza, “to obtain incentives, avoid an all-out war and strengthen its position in the region.”

Laylaz said Iran had not previously been involved in the Gaza peace process but was now ready to play “a key role.”

Iran, two of the sources said, was considering sending a representative to the ceasefire talks, in what would be a first since the war started in Gaza.

The representative would not directly attend the meetings but would engage in behind-the-scenes discussions “to maintain a line of diplomatic communication” with the United States while negotiations proceed. Officials in Washington, Qatar and Egypt did not immediately respond to questions about whether Iran would play an indirect role in talks.

Two senior sources close to Lebanon’s Hezbollah said Tehran would give the negotiations a chance but would not give up its intentions to retaliate.

A ceasefire in Gaza would give Iran cover for a smaller “symbolic” response, one of the sources said.

Israel launched its assault on Gaza after Hamas fighters stormed into southern Israel on Oct. 7, killing 1,200 people, mostly civilians, and capturing more than 250 hostages, according to Israeli tallies.

Since then, nearly 40,000 Palestinians have been killed in the Israeli offensive in Gaza, according to the health ministry.

APRIL MISSILES

Iran has not publicly indicated what would be the target of an eventual response to the Haniyeh assassination.

On April 13, two weeks after two Iranian generals were killed in a strike on Tehran’s embassy in Syria, Iran unleashed a barrage of hundreds of drones, cruise missiles and ballistic missiles towards Israel, damaging two airbases. Almost all of the weapons were shot down before they reached their targets.

“Iran wants its response to be much more effective than the April 13 attack,” said Farzin Nadimi, senior fellow with the Washington Institute for Near East policy.”

Nadimi said such a response would require “a lot of preparation and coordination” especially if it involved Iran’s network of allied armed groups opposing Israel and the United States across the Middle East, with Hezbollah the senior member of the so-called “Axis of Resistance,” that along with Iraqi militias and Yemen’s Houthis have harried Israel since Oct. 7.

Two of the Iranian sources said Iran would support Hezbollah and other allies if they launched their own responses to the killing of Haniyeh and Hezbollah’s top military commander, Fuad Shukr, who died in a strike in Beirut the day before Haniyeh was killed in Tehran.

The sources did not specify what form such support could take.​

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back