Home Watch Videos Wars Movies Login

[🇮🇷] Protests in Iran

[🇮🇷] Protests in Iran
109
2K
More threads by Saif

G   Iranian Defense
Trump sees Iranian crackdown easing, Tehran denies man to be executed

REUTERS
Published :
Jan 15, 2026 20:37
Updated :
Jan 15, 2026 20:37

1768523798049.webp

Burnt vehicles lie on the road following unrest sparked by dire economic conditions, in a place given as Tehran, Iran, January 10, 2026, in this screengrab from Iran's state media broadcast footage. Photo : IRIB via WANA(West Asia News Agency)


U.S. President Donald Trump said he had been told that killings in Iran’s crackdown on protests were easing and that he believed there was no current plan for large-scale executions, adopting a wait‑and‑see posture after earlier threatening intervention.

After Iran’s foreign minister said Iran had “no plan” to hang people, Iranian state media on Thursday reported that a 26-year-old man arrested during protests in the city of Karaj would not be given the death sentence.

Rights organisation Hengaw, which reported earlier this week that Erfan Soltani was due to be executed on Wednesday, said a previously communicated order for his execution had been postponed, citing his relatives.

In a social media post on Thursday, Trump responded to a news report that an Iranian protester was no longer being sentenced to death, writing: “This is good news. Hopefully, it will continue!”

Iranian state media said that while Soltani was being charged with colluding against “internal security and propaganda activities against the regime”, the death penalty does not apply to such charges.

Trump’s comments on Wednesday led oil prices to retreat from multi-month highs and gold eased from a record peak on Thursday. Trump has repeatedly threatened to intervene on behalf of protesters in Iran, where the clerical establishment has cracked down hard on nationwide unrest since December 28.

PROTESTS APPEAR TO ABATE

People inside the country, reached by Reuters on Wednesday and Thursday, said the protests appear to have abated since Monday. Information flows have been hampered by an internet blackout for a week.

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said on Thursday the government was trying to address some of the economic problems that first spurred the protests, saying it intended to tackle issues of corruption and foreign exchange rates and that this would improve purchasing power for poorer people.

Tensions had escalated on Wednesday, with Iran saying it had warned neighbours it would hit American bases in the region in the event of U.S. strikes, and a U.S. official saying the United States was withdrawing some personnel from bases in the region.

Trump, speaking at the White House, said he has been told that killings in the crackdown were subsiding. Asked who told him that the killings had stopped, Trump described them as “very important sources on the other side.”

The president did not rule out potential U.S. military action, saying “we are going to watch what the process is” before noting that his administration had received a “very good statement” from Iran.

Paul Salem, a senior fellow at the Middle East Institute think-tank, said that while Trump has appeared to back away from action against Iran, he remained unpredictable.

The Iranian government is at “a strategic dead end, but I don’t think they are at immediate risk of state collapse or regime change,” he added.

In separate comments to Reuters, Trump expressed uncertainty over whether Reza Pahlavi, the son of the late shah of Iran and a prominent figure in Iran’s fractured opposition, would be able to muster support within Iran to eventually take over.

Trump told Reuters it is possible the government in Tehran could fall due to the protests but that in truth “any regime can fail.”

Turkey, one of several states in the region where the U.S. has forces, expressed opposition to the use of violence against Iran, with Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan saying at a press conference in Istanbul that the priority is to avoid destabilisation.

Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan held a phone call with Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi on Thursday and discussed ways to support security and stability in the region, Saudi state media reported.

The security warning level at the U.S. Al Udeid air base in Qatar has been lowered after a heightened alert triggered on Wednesday, three sources briefed on the situation told Reuters on Thursday. U.S. aircraft that were moved out of Al Udeid are gradually returning to the base, one of the sources added.

Iran launched missiles at Al Udeid last year in response to U.S. airstrikes on its nuclear installations during the 12-day war between Tehran and Israel.

G7 CONDEMNS REPRESSION

The U.S.-based HRANA rights group says it has so far verified the deaths of 2,435 protesters and 153 government-affiliated individuals in the unrest that started with protests over soaring prices before turning into one of the biggest challenges to the clerical establishment since the 1979 Islamic Revolution.

The death toll has dwarfed that of previous bouts of unrest crushed by the Iranian authorities, such as the 2022 “Woman, Life, Freedom” protests and unrest sparked by a disputed election in 2009.

Iran and its Western foes have both described the unrest as the most violent since the 1979 Islamic Revolution.

Iranian authorities said the demonstrations turned from legitimate protest at economic grievances into unrest fomented by its foreign enemies, accusing people it described as terrorists of attacking the security forces and public property.

The intelligence ministry urged people on Thursday to report any suspicious activities, state media reported.

The Group of Seven countries condemned what they described as the Iranian authorities’ brutal repression of the Iranian people, saying they were prepared to impose additional restrictive measures on Iran if it continues to crack down.​
 
Analyze

Analyze Post

Add your ideas here:
Highlight Cite Respond
Iran vows to defend itself

Saudi, Qatar, Oman convince Trump to ‘give Iran a chance’


Agence France-Presse . Paris, France 16 January, 2026, 00:29

Iran vowed on Thursday to defend itself against any foreign threat, after US president Donald Trump said he would ‘watch it and see’ about military action over the crackdown on protesters.

Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Oman led efforts to talk Trump out of an attack on Iran, a senior Saudi official said on Thursday, with another Gulf official confirming the discussions.



The Gulf trio ‘led a long, frantic, diplomatic last-minute effort to convince Trump to give Iran a chance to show good intention’, the Saudi official said.

Some personnel were moved out of a major US military base in Qatar on Wednesday, and staff at US missions in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait were warned to exercise caution as fears mounted of a US attack over Iran’s crackdown on protesters.

The United States has repeatedly warned it could intervene against a deadly Iranian government crackdown on protests, while Tehran has said it would retaliate with strikes on US military and shipping targets.

Iran’s judiciary said a protester who the United States and rights groups feared faced imminent execution would not be sentenced to death, after Trump had warned of strikes should people arrested for demonstrating be killed.

The protests were sparked by economic grievances but evolved rapidly into a nationwide movement that has constituted the greatest threat to the Islamic republic since its inception in 1979.

Rights groups say the crackdown by authorities, who exercise zero tolerance for dissent, has left at least 3,428 people dead. They also accuse the country’s theocratic leaders of using an internet blackout to cover up the brutality of their crackdown.

In telephone talks on Thursday, Iranian foreign minister Abbas Araghchi told Saudi Arabian counterpart Faisal bin Farhan of the importance of ‘global condemnation of foreign interference in the internal affairs of regional countries’.

The developments came hours ahead of a UN Security Council meeting on Iran later on Thursday, which was requested by the US.

In an announcement at the White House, Trump said he had now received assurances from ‘very important sources on the other side’ that executions would not go ahead.


‘They’ve said the killing has stopped and the executions won’t take place — there were supposed to be a lot of executions today and that the executions won’t take place — and we’re going to find out,’ Trump said.

Asked by an AFP reporter in the Oval Office if US military action was now off the table, Trump replied: ‘We’re going to watch it and see what the process is.’

The comments sent oil prices plunging on Thursday, as concerns eased of a looming supply shock in energy markets. Iran makes up around three per cent of global oil production.

All eyes were on protester Erfan Soltani, 26, in prison in Karaj outside Tehran since his arrest, who is facing charges of propaganda against Iran’s Islamic system and acting against national security.

On Thursday, the Iranian judiciary said Soltani has ‘not been sentenced to death’ and if he is convicted, ‘the punishment, according to the law, will be imprisonment, as the death penalty does not exist for such charges’.

Iran’s judiciary chief had vowed fast-track trials for those arrested, and prosecutors have said some detainees will face capital charges of ‘waging war against God’.

State media reported hundreds of arrests and the detention of a foreign national for espionage, without giving details.

In an interview with US network Fox News, Iranian foreign minister Abbas Araghchi said there would be ‘no hanging today or tomorrow’, while accusing US ally Israel of orchestrating violence in Iran, without providing evidence.

Araghchi contends the protests devolved into widespread violence between January 7 and 10 because they were infiltrated by external ‘elements who had a plan to create a big number of killings in order to provoke president Trump to enter into this conflict and start a new war against Iran’.

The authorities imposed an unprecedented internet blackout on January 8, as protests exploded in size and intensity, severely hampering the demonstrators’ ability to communicate with each other and the outside world.

Iran’s minister of justice Amin Hossein Rahimi echoed Araghchi’s allegation, telling state news agencies that after January 7, ‘those weren’t protests any longer’ and anyone who was arrested on the streets then ‘was definitely a criminal’.

Araghchi said the Iranian government was ‘in full control’ and reported an atmosphere of ‘calm’ after what he called three days of ‘terrorist operation’.

Iran also struck a defiant tone about responding to any US attack, as Washington appeared to draw down staff at a base in Qatar that Tehran targeted in a strike last year.

Iran targeted the Al Udeid base in June in retaliation for US strikes on its nuclear facilities.

Ali Shamkhani, a senior adviser to Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, warned Trump the strike showed ‘Iran’s will and capability to respond to any attack’.

Fears of possible US military action continued to rile the region, and Turkey on Thursday said it opposed a military operation against Iran.

G7 nations said Wednesday they were ‘deeply alarmed at the high level of reported deaths and injuries’ and warned of further sanctions if the crackdown continued.

Monitor NetBlocks said Iran’s internet blackout had lasted over 156 hours.

Despite the shutdown, new videos, with locations verified by AFP, showed bodies lined up in the Kahrizak morgue south of Tehran, wrapped in black bags as distraught relatives searched for loved ones.

The US-based Institute for the Study of War, which has monitored protest activity amid the shutdown, said it had recorded ‘zero protests’ on Wednesday.

But it added: ‘The regime is sustaining repressive measures that impose a significant cost on the regime. This suggests that the regime does not perceive that the threat from protests has subsided.’

Iran Human Rights, based in Norway, said security forces had killed at least 3,428 protesters and arrested more than 10,000.​
 
Analyze

Analyze Post

Add your ideas here:
Highlight Cite Respond

Khamenei for crackdown on ‘seditionists’ after protests
Agence France-Presse . Paris, France 18 January, 2026, 00:23

1768700280817.webp

Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

Iran’s supreme leader on Saturday said authorities ‘must break the back of the seditionists’, blaming US president Donald Trump for ‘casualties’ after a deadly crackdown on protests against the country’s clerical leadership.

Iran was rocked by weeks of demonstrations sparked by anger over economic hardship that exploded into the biggest protests against the Islamic republic in more than three years.

But demonstrations have subsided after the crackdown that rights groups say left thousands dead under an internet blackout that lasted more than a week.

Authorities have said demonstrations they condemn as ‘riots’ are under control, with state-aligned media reporting thousands of arrests and officials vowing swift punishment for those detained.

‘By God’s grace, the Iranian nation must break the back of the seditionists just as it broke the back of the sedition,’ Khamenei told supporters during an address marking a religious holiday commemorating the Prophet Mohammed’s ascension to heaven aired by state television.

‘We do not intend to lead the country to war, but we will not spare domestic criminals,’ he added, saying that ‘international criminals’ were ‘worse’ and would also not be spared punishment.

Iranian authorities have blamed the United States for fuelling a ‘terrorist operation’ that they say hijacked peaceful protests over the economy.

Trump, who backed and joined Israel’s 12-day war against Iran in June, had repeatedly threatened new military action against Tehran if protesters were killed.

Khamenei on Saturday lashed out at Trump, accusing him of being ‘guilty for the casualties, damages and accusations he has levelled against the Iranian nation’.

‘This was an American conspiracy,’ he said, adding that ‘America’s goal is to swallow Iran... the goal is to put Iran back under military, political and economic domination’.

While Washington has appeared to have stepped back, Trump has said he has not ruled out military options and made clear he was keeping a close eye on whether any protesters were executed.

Alarm has mounted over the reported death toll during the crackdown, as verifying cases remains difficult under severe internet restrictions.

Monitor Netblocks said on Saturday that internet connectivity in Iran rose ‘very’ slightly, more than 200 hours into the nationwide internet shutdown.

Rights groups have warned that the blackout has been aimed at concealing the extent of the violence during the crackdown.

Norway-based rights group Iran Human Rights says 3,428 protesters have been verified to have been killed by security forces, but warns the actual toll could be several times higher.

Other estimates place the death toll at more than 5,000 -- and possibly as high as 20,000, IHR said.

The opposition Iran International channel based outside the country has said at least 12,000 people were killed during the protests, citing senior government and security sources.​
 
Analyze

Analyze Post

Add your ideas here:
Highlight Cite Respond
Analyze

Analyze Post

Add your ideas here:
Highlight Cite Respond
  • Like (+1)
Reactions: Vsdoc
Analyze

Analyze Post

Add your ideas here:
Highlight Cite Respond
Analyze

Analyze Post

Add your ideas here:
Highlight Cite Respond

Irans fucking powerful......not like those busted ass muzlims that surround it. Piece a candy ass no? Choonturr main muzlim k chatree daal kar khol dee!.....Ass-hole wide open!.....Wahabbi Eff-sola can fly right thru that ass-hole!

Bukvaas Sawdi Judea, AL-Turkiya and AL-Baqistan.......teeno chutiye!
 
Analyze

Analyze Post

Add your ideas here:
Highlight Cite Respond
  • Like (+1)
Reactions: Vsdoc
Irans fucking powerful......not like those busted ass muzlims that surround it. Piece a candy ass no? Choonturr main muzlim k chatree daal kar khol dee!.....Ass-hole wide open!.....Wahabbi Eff-sola can fly right thru that ass-hole!

Bukvaas Sawdi Judea, AL-Turkiya and AL-Baqistan.......teeno chutiye!
@Jiangnan
 
Analyze

Analyze Post

Add your ideas here:
Highlight Cite Respond
  • Like (+1)
Reactions: Vsdoc

Members Online

Latest Posts

Back
 
G
O
 
H
O
M
E