Home Watch Videos Wars Movies Login

[🇧🇩] Those who have laid down their lives to free Bangladesh

Latest Posts Countries Wars Q&A

[🇧🇩] Those who have laid down their lives to free Bangladesh
84
4K
More threads by Saif

G Bangladesh Defense

Court orders exhumation of 114 bodies of July Uprising victims for identification

Published :
Aug 04, 2025 20:06
Updated :
Aug 04, 2025 20:06

1754350554420.webp


A Dhaka court has ordered the exhumation of 114 bodies buried as unidentified victims of last year’s Anti-discrimination Student Movement, to confirm their identities and enable legal procedures.

The order was issued on Monday by Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Mohammad Mustafizur Rahman in response to a petition filed by Mohammadpur Police Sub-Inspector Md Mahidul Islam.

Additional Public Prosecutor Md Shamsuddoha Suman said the victims, men and women of various ages, died during different phases of the movement. Their bodies were buried at the Rayer Bazar graveyard as unidentified.

The petition noted that postmortem reports had already been prepared, and and DNA samples were now required for identification, reports bdnews24.com.

Once identities are confirmed, the bodies could be formally handed over to families based on legal procedure and requests.

After reviewing the case documents, the magistrate granted the application and directed the Dhaka district magistrate to appoint an executive magistrate and ensure necessary arrangements.​
 
Analyze

Analyze Post

Add your ideas here:
Highlight Cite Respond

STATE BENEFITS FOR JULY MARTYRS: Families in straits as rule applies unequally
Kamrun Nahar Sumy 13 August, 2025, 00:29

1755047556916.webp


State benefits for families of July martyrs have sparked off disputes, resentment and insecurity as the disbursement rule has not been applied equally to all cases.

Some widows have received the full one-time grant of Tk 30 lakh, in savings certificates, in the first phase while some others have received varying amounts.

Mariam, mother of three young children, has not received any payment while her in-laws have received Tk 10 lakh. But, Maria Sultana Rakhi, who has a daughter three years old, has received the grant of Tk 10 lakh.

The amount has also varied. Nasrin Akter, widow of Towhidur Rahaman Rana, has received Tk 6.25 lakh, Jamena Tuj Jahara, widow of Nisan Khan, Tk 6.66 lakh and Farhana Islam Popy, widow of journalist Mehedi Hasan, Tk 7 lakh.

The uprising, which toppled the Awami League regime on August 5, 2024, left many families, especially widows and children, in financial straits.

Several families have said that the inequitable disbursement of aid has only plunged them into further insecurity and disappointment.

Mariam, who lives in a rented house in Gazipur with her two sons and a daughter, has said, ‘My father-in-law has three other sons. He has received the entire amount and he has given me nothing.’

‘My children are still young. How will I manage the expenses?’ she has added.

Mariam’s father-in-law Razzak Hawladar, who lives in Madaripur, has said, ‘I have given her Tk 2 lakh. I want to deposit the rest in the grandchildren’s names for future use.’

Government officials have said that the distribution followed the inheritance law, the shariah for the Muslims and the Hindu law for the Hindus.

The liberation war affairs secretary Ishrat Chowdhury on August 10 said, ‘Rules on this are pending approval. We hope it will happen this week. We have made the rules in keeping with inheritance laws so that no one is deprived.’

Legal experts argue that applying inheritance laws is not mandatory in this case. The government should consider the family circumstances and distribute the money, keeping to their needs.

Supreme Court lawyer Tanim Hussain Shawon, a member of the judicial reforms commission, has said that inheritance laws apply when a person dies leaving behind property and wealth.

‘In this case, the aid should be distributed after assessing the situation. Martyrs who have left behind a widow with children should be given high priority,’ he said.

Senior Supreme Court lawyer Salahuddin Dolon has said that the distribution should be handled case by case, depending on the situation and needs.

Several widows have said that 150–200 of the 836 officially recognised martyrs have left behind widows and children who are unwelcome to their in-laws’, noting that the children are unlikely to inherit property.

‘I was on good terms with the in-laws. But, they’ve abandoned me after my husband died,’ said Nasrin, widow of Towhidur Rahman.

Her three-year-old daughter has thalassaemia and will need medication for the rest of her life.

‘My husband wanted our daughter to become a researcher. If the government discriminates based on gender, what’s the point in sacrificing so many lives for a country free of discrimination?’ the 30-year-old Nasrin has said.

The widows are also concerned whether the government would share the monthly allowance of Tk 20,000 keeping to the inheritance laws as the allowance would be important for their subsistence.

Mohammad Faruk Hosen, a joint secretary to the liberation war affairs ministry who looks after the Directorate for July Mass Uprising activities, has said, ‘We have initially considered the inheritance laws. In cases with disputes, we will act on the advisory council’s decisions.’

Mehedi Hasan’s widow Farhana Islam has said, ‘We have no objection to our in-laws taking a portion of the one-time grant.’

‘But, we don’t want to share the monthly allowance as our children are young,’ she has added. ‘The government should make clear the disbursement rule and equally apply it to all cases.’​
 
Analyze

Analyze Post

Add your ideas here:
Highlight Cite Respond

Exhumation of 114 unidentified July martyrs to begin at Rayerbazar Graveyard

BSS
Published :
Dec 06, 2025 20:47
Updated :
Dec 06, 2025 20:47

1765068942656.webp


The bodies of 114 unidentified martyrs of the July Uprising will be exhumed from Rayerbazar Graveyard in the capital starting Sunday for identification through post-mortem and DNA testing.

"We are preparing for exhumation of bodies of July Martyrs buried in Rayerbazar Graveyard tomorrow following a Dhaka court order," Special Police Super of the Criminal Investigation Department (CID), Md Jasim Uddin Khan, said.

The exhumation process will begin tomorrow morning, and the recovered bodies will be reburied with proper respect after DNA samples and post-mortem examinations.

CID Chief Additional Inspector General of the CID Md. Sibgat Ullah will hold a briefing around 9:30am tomorrow at the graveyard, next to the Rayerbazar Memorial, before the exhumation begins.

Forensic expert Louis Fondebrider and a team of forensic anthropologists will also be present during the process.

CID officials said tents and equipment have been set up at the cemetery by the department's crime scene unit to facilitate the exhumation.

The exhumation follows a court order by Dhaka's Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Mohammad Mostafizur Rahman on August 4, acting on a police application filed by Sub-Inspector Mahidul Islam of Mohammadpur Police Station.

The court had ordered the authorities concerned to exhume 114 bodies of individuals killed during the July Uprising of 2024 in order to identify them.

During the anti-discrimination movement last year, 114 martyrs were buried as unrecognised individuals in the Rayerbazar cemetery in Mohammadpur.

"For the purpose of taking legal action in the future and identifying the bodies, it is necessary to exhume those through proper legal procedures, conduct post-mortem and collect DNA samples to confirm their identities," the police application said.

"Upon completion of legal proceedings and confirmation of identity through DNA profiling, it is also required to hand over the bodies to their respective families," it added.​
 
Analyze

Analyze Post

Add your ideas here:
Highlight Cite Respond
July killings: Anti-Discrimination Student Movement compiles list of OCs and SPs

Correspondent Dhaka University
Published: 04 Jan 2026, 22: 24

1767575248450.webp

The leaders of the Anti-Discrimination Student Movement held a press conference at Dhaka University’s Madhur Canteen today, Sunday evening. Prothom Alo

The Anti-Discrimination Student Movement is compiling a list of the then officers-in-charge (OCs) of the police stations where students and civilians were killed during the July uprising.

Alongside this, they are also listing the district superintendents of police (SPs) and higher-ranking officials. Once the list is completed, cases will be filed against them at the International Criminal Court.

This was announced by Rifat Rashid, president of the Anti-Discrimination Student Movement, at a press conference held on Sunday evening at Dhaka University’s Madhur Canteen.

Rifat Rashid stated that for the July mass uprising, they are preparing a list of OCs, SPs, and senior commanding officers of the police stations under which students and civilians were martyred. The movement has decided to submit this list to the tribunal and pursue legal action against those responsible.


In July 2024, a movement led by the Anti-Discrimination Student Movement demanding quota reforms in government jobs faced severe repression by the then Awami League government. After a bloody struggle, the movement escalated into an uprising, which forced the then Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina to flee to India.

Following the uprising, the interim government restructured the International Crimes Tribunal to prosecute crimes against humanity committed during the Awami League’s authoritarian rule, including the July killings. In one case, Sheikh Hasina and her government’s Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan were sentenced to death. The former Inspector General of Police (IGP) Chowdhury Abdullah Al-Mamun was sentenced to five years in prison.

At a press conference, Rifat Rashid, president of the Anti-Discrimination Student Movement, outlined three demands and two action programmes.
First demand: Their Habiganj leader Mahdi Hasan should be granted unconditional release, not just bail, and the OC of Shayestaganj police station must be withdrawn.

Second demand: All students, workers, and citizens who participated in the July uprising must be granted amnesty for activities conducted from 1 July to 8 August, with an ordinance issued within the next 24 hours.

Third demand: All officers, soldiers, and staff of the military, navy, air force, paramilitary, and civil administration who played a key role in the July revolution should be formally recognised, honoured, and provided legal protection. A permanent commission should be established to prevent harassment at work. Officers in the armed forces who were denied promotions due to fascist repression since 25 February 2009 should receive rapid promotions and be posted to sensitive positions.

During the press conference, when Rifat Rashid announced the two action programmes, he also mentioned the compilation of the list of OCs and SPs, saying:

"This is not a delay tactic. What our brother Hadi said—there will be no delay, there will be action, action!"

He added: “Our second programme is to ensure that the ordinance on indemnity is issued. The Anti-Discrimination Student Movement will immediately coordinate with the legal advisor and home advisor to pressure the President into implementing it. This work has already begun today.”

Regarding the recent bail for Mahdi Hasan, who was arrested for obstructing government work, Rifat Rashid clarified that Mahdi has not been unconditionally released; he was only granted bail in one case.

Therefore, their first demand has not been fully met, and the struggle must continue.

The press conference was attended by Hasib Al Islam, chief coordinator of the Anti-Discrimination Student Movement, along with other leaders and activists.​
 
Analyze

Analyze Post

Add your ideas here:
Highlight Cite Respond

‘Justice will be ensured’: Tarique tells Shaheed Abu Sayed’s father

BNP chief meets family of July Uprising’s first martyr in Rangpur’s Pirganj

By Star Online Report

1769821450838.webp


Photo: BNP Media Cell

BNP Chairman Tarique Rahman today visited the grave of Shaheed Abu Sayed, the first martyr of the July 2024 Uprising, in Rangpur’s Pirganj.


Around 5:55pm, Tarique went to Babanpur-Jafarpara village in Pirganj upazila, where Abu Sayed was buried.

After offering prayers at the grave, he sat in the yard in front of Abu Sayed's house and spoke to the martyr's family members.

During the visit, Tarique said that the sacrifice of Abu Sayed and his family had brought the country to a new stage. Abu Sayed’s father Mokbul Hossain, mother Monowara, brothers Ramzan Ali, Abu Hossain, and other family members sat with the BNP chairman.

Abu Sayed’s father told Tarique, “If Allah brings you to power, you must first ensure justice for the killing of Abu Sayed and all those who died in the July Uprising. You must ensure proper treatment and rehabilitation for the injured, and create jobs for the people of Pirganj and across Bangladesh.”

In response, Tarique assured Mokbul Hossain that if BNP comes to power, justice will be ensured for the killings of Abu Sayed and others, and development will be carried out in all sectors.

Ahead of his arrival, members of the police, Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB) and Rapid Action Battalion (Rab) were deployed across the area. Security personnel were seen patrolling different points, while additional forces remained stationed around the grave.

Abu Sayed was shot dead on July 16, 2024, at Park Mor near Begum Rokeya University during the movement. He was buried at his village home the following day. He was a student of the 12th batch of the English Department of Begum Rokeya University and served as a coordinator of the July movement.

After meeting Abu Sayed’s family under tight security, Tarique Rahman went to a madrasa field in the same area at around 6:30pm.

As his vehicle entered the field, a large number of party leaders and activists surrounded the car and chanted slogans.

Speaking from inside the vehicle, he said, “I have come to your area many times in winter to give away blankets. Everyone must vote for the sheaf of paddy. If you vote for the sheaf of paddy, this area will be developed.”

Following the brief address, he left for a rally at the Eidgah ground in Rangpur at around 6:30pm.

Earlier in the day, at around 2:00pm, he had left Bogura for Rangpur. Along the way, leaders and activists stood beside the road, surrounding his vehicle and welcoming him as the convoy passed through different areas.​
 
Analyze

Analyze Post

Add your ideas here:
Highlight Cite Respond

Members Online

Back
 
G
O
 
H
O
M
E