Wars 2022 02/24 Monitoring Russian and Ukraine War.

Wars 2022 02/24 Monitoring Russian and Ukraine War.
705
34K
More threads by PakistanProud

G War Archive

Civilian deaths in Ukraine jumped in July as Russia hit cities, UN says

1786750964757.webp

Smoke rises in the city during a Russian missile strike, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Kyiv, Ukraine Aug 11, 2026. REUTERS/Gleb Garanich/Files

Civilian casualties from the war in Ukraine rose by nearly a third month-on-month in July, to the highest level since May 2022, as Russia struck towns and cities far from the battlefield with missiles and drones, the UN said on Friday.

The United Nations Human Rights Monitoring Mission in Ukraine said in a report that it had confirmed at least 437 civilians killed and 2,610 injured in July, a 30 percent rise from June and a 70 percent jump from the same month last year.

Long-range weapons, such as missiles and drones, remained the leading cause of civilian deaths last month, accounting for 38 percent of the total.

"Most casualties from these weapons occurred far from the frontline in urban centres," the UN report said.

Ballistic Missile Attacks

In recent months, Russia has stepped up its attacks on Ukraine with ballistic missiles, which due to their speed and steep trajectory are much harder to intercept than drones or cruise missiles.

Ukraine has a chronic lack of US-made Patriot interceptors needed to defend against these attacks. President Volodymyr Zelensky urgently appealed to Washington this week for more supplies.

Russian glide bombs – an air-launched guided munition – became the second-largest cause of death. Civilian casualties from aerial bombardments increased by 143 percent month-on-month in July to 105 killed and 753 wounded.

The UN also noted a rise in the number of deaths from short-range drones near the frontline, which killed 111 people and wounded 710 in July, the highest monthly level since the war began in February 2022.

Residents in cities close to the battlefield – such as Kherson – have coined the term "safari" to refer to Russian drones "hunting down" civilians and vehicles in the streets.

Overall, Kyiv was the hardest-hit city, with a total of 54 civilians killed in July, followed by Kherson and Zaporizhzhia, the UN said.

"The number of child casualties (17 killed; 166 injured) was the highest since April 2022," the report stated.

The figures also included 25 civilians killed and 50 wounded in parts of Ukraine occupied by Russia, the UN said. Due to increasingly limited publicly available information – the actual figure was probably significantly higher, it noted.

Both Russia and Ukraine deny deliberately targeting civilians.

More than 16,000 civilians have been killed in nearly four-and-a-half years of fighting, according to the United Nations, the overwhelming majority of them Ukrainian.

Ukraine is also increasingly attacking Russia with drones and long-range missiles, some of which have caused civilian casualties, Russian authorities say.

On Monday, authorities said that a Ukrainian drone strike in the Russian city of Nizhnekamsk killed at least 13 people.

The Conflict Intelligence Team, an independent group that tracks the war, estimated that a total of 634 civilians were killed in July on both sides of the frontline. Reuters was not able to verify that figure independently.​
 

Russian strike kills 10 in Ukraine
Agence France-Presse . Kyiv, Ukraine 18 August, 2026, 23:14

1787098024109.webp

This handout photograph released by the Ukrainian Presidential Press Service on Tuesday, shows burning cars following an air attack in Pechenigy, Kharkiv region, amid the Russian attack of Ukraine. | AFP photo

A Russian attack on a village in the Kharkiv region of northeast Ukraine killed 10 people, Kyiv said Tuesday, vowing to respond.

The strike comes amid a surge in civilian deaths in the four-and-a-half-year war.

Russian forces ‘carried out a rocket strike on Pechenigy’, a village around 40 kilometres from the Russian border, Kharkiv regional governor Oleg Synegubov said on social media.

‘According to preliminary information, 10 people were killed,’ he added, with 17 people wounded.

Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelensky said on social media that the strike hit a busy intersection, ‘a location with a post office and stores, surrounded only by residential buildings’.

Images from the site of the attack posted by the Ukrainian emergency services showed rescuers working at the scene, carrying people to safety amid destroyed buildings, smouldering rubble and cars on fire or reduced to charred shells.

‘We will definitely respond to this Russian strike. And it is equally important that our partners also complement our responses with their own actions to put pressure on Russia and support Ukraine,’ Zelensky said.

The Kharkiv region — parts of which are occupied by Russian forces — has been hit hard since Moscow invaded Ukraine in February 2022.

According to the United Nations, more civilians have been killed in the war in recent months than in any period since the start of the invasion.

Ukrainian authorities on Tuesday ordered almost 2,200 children with their guardians to leave settlements in the country’s centre-east Dnipropetrovsk region amid ramped up Russian strikes and Moscow’s troops inching forward.

Mandatory evacuation has been announced for 16 settlements located east of the region’s capital Dnipro, Oleksandr Ganzha, the head of the regional military administration, said on social media.

“Within a month, families with children must leave these areas. Parents, guardians or legal representatives must take 2,177 boys and girls to safer territories,” Ganzha said.

He said the evacuees would be taken to transit centres and assisted with finding new accommodation.

The Dnipropetrovsk region is frequently pummelled by Russian drones and missiles.

Fighting is ongoing in the region’s east, but the Ukrainian army made minor gains in the area last month, according to AFP analysis of data from the Institute for the Study of War.

Russia’s advance across the sprawling frontline has slowed in 2026, though Ukraine’s army remains stretched by manpower shortages and fatigue as the Russian invasion drags through its fifth year.

The number of civilians killed in Ukraine in July jumped to its highest level since the first months of the Russian invasion, the United Nations said.

Meanwhile, Ukrainian foreign minister Andriy Sybiga and his Belgian counterpart Maxime Prevot were on Tuesday forced to hold talks in an underground shelter as an air alert blared out in Kyiv.

‘Due to Russian drones attacking our capital, we held our talks underground in the @MFA_Ukraine bomb shelter — a daily reality for millions of Ukrainians, shared by our Belgian guests today,’ Sybiga said on social media.

He posted a picture of the two top diplomats sitting at a table in a windowless room and a video of the two delegations making their way through underground corridors.

Air alerts ring out in war-torn Ukraine every day as Russia launches barrages of drones and missiles at its neighbour, forcing people into shelters and killing civilians in the capital and across the country.

During a visit to Kyiv in July, European Union chief Ursula von der Leyen had to shelter briefly because of an air alert and drone threat in the city.​
 

Latest Posts

Back