Home Watch Videos Wars Movies Login

[🇧🇩] BDR Mutiny---An Irreparable Damage to Bangladesh's First Line of Defense

Latest Posts Countries Wars Q&A

[🇧🇩] BDR Mutiny---An Irreparable Damage to Bangladesh's First Line of Defense
115
5K
More threads by Saif

G Bangladesh Defense

Commission uncovers evidence suggesting ‘Indian involvement’ in the planning of Pilkhana killings​

The chief of the commission says General Moeen had warned that any action could provoke Indian intervention​

Probe finds ‘India links’ in Pilkhana conspiracy

Senior Correspondent
bdnews24.com
Published : 01 Dec 2025, 01:20 AM
Updated : 01 Dec 2025, 01:20 AM


The head of the National Independent Inquiry Commission, retired major general ALM Fazlur Rahman has said evidence points to “Indian involvement” in the conspiracy behind the 2009 Pilkhana killings.


Speaking at a press conference after submitting the 16-year-old case’s report to Chief Advisor Muhammad Yunus on Sunday, Fazlur highlighted that the Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB, formerly BDR) had been “deliberately weakened”, contributing to the bloodshed.

Fazlur, who also served as BDR director general, said: “The conspiracy aimed to weaken this force and destabilise Bangladesh. At that time, India sought to create instability while the then government sought to extend its rule.”


Asked at the media briefing who the main Pilkhana massacre plotters were, the head of the commission formed last December, said: "Former prime minister Sheikh Hasina, barrister Fazle Noor Taposh, Sheikh Selim, Jahangir Kabir Nanak, Mirza Azam, Sahara Khatun, General Tarique Siddique, ex-Army chief General Moeen U Ahmed, and the former DGFI chief maj gen Akbar (Hossain).


"After the BDR carnage took place, the government wanted to prolong its power, and the neighbouring country wanted to destabilise Bangladesh," he added.

When asked who he meant by the neighbouring country, Fazlur replied: "We meant India, where our former prime minister, along with her party members, took shelter."


In response to another question, the former army official said: "General Moeen stated in his remarks that if he had taken 'action' here, India would have 'intervened' here."

Seventy-four people, including the 57 army officers, were killed in the mutiny at the erstwhile Bangladesh Rifles, or BDR, Headquarters in Dhaka’s Pilkhana on Feb 25 and 26, 2009.

Citing evidence of the involvement of Indians in the incident, Fazlur said: "Around 921 Indians came to the country during that time. The whereabouts of 67 of those Indians are unknown."


The case and judicial proceedings concerning this massacre, which caused national and international interest, were carried out during the Awami League government's tenure.

Following a change in power and the interim administration taking charge, demands arose for a re-investigation of the incident. The inquiry commission was formed on Dec 24, with a 90-day deadline to submit its findings.
 
Analyze

Analyze Post

Add your ideas here:
Highlight Cite Respond

Families of martyred officers demand full disclosure of BDR Carnage Report​


The families alleged that they faced various kinds of social and online harassment for providing testimony during the inquiry
https://www.dhakatribune.com/397770

A press conference titled “Opinions of the Families of the Martyrs on the Publication of the BDR Inquiry Commission Report” was held on Monday, December 1, 2025, at the RAOWA Club in the capital where family members demanded the full disclosure of the report and called for legal action regarding the BDR carnage. Photo: Dhaka Tribune
A press conference titled “Opinions of the Families of the Martyrs on the Publication of the BDR Inquiry Commission Report” was held on Monday, December 1, 2025, at the RAOWA Club in the capital where family members demanded the full disclosure of the report and called for legal action regarding the BDR carnage. Photo: Dhaka Tribune
Tribune ReportTribune Report
Publish : 01 Dec 2025, 07:33 PM
Update : 01 Dec 2025, 07:43 PM

Family members of the army officers killed in the Pilkhana BDR carnage have voiced frustration that the names of all individuals involved have yet to be made public.

They demanded that, along with releasing the full report, the government immediately initiate legal action against the perpetrators.

At a press conference titled Opinions of the Families of the Martyrs on the Publication of the BDR Inquiry Commission Report, held Monday at the RAOWA Club in the capital, relatives of the slain army officers made the remarks. They also expressed satisfaction that the national independent inquiry commission, formed by the interim government, has submitted its report to the chief adviser.

BDR Carnage

The families alleged that they faced various forms of social and online harassment for providing testimony during the inquiry and said they continue to live in insecurity.

The national independent inquiry commission—tasked by the interim government with investigating the brutal killings at Pilkhana—submitted its report to Chief Adviser Professor Muhammad Yunus on November 30 at the state guesthouse Jamuna.

The commission prepared the report following an 11-month investigation into the carnage that unfolded on February 25–26, 2009, at the headquarters of the then Bangladesh Rifles (BDR), now Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB).

Speaking at the event, Dr. Fableeha Bushra, daughter of Lt. Colonel Lutfor Rahman Khan, said Commission Chief General Fazlur Rahman stated on Sunday that the report is not classified and will be made public. “The call of the martyrs’ families is that the process should not be delayed—urgent steps must be taken to send the report to the judiciary, impose legal measures such as travel bans on potential accused individuals, and publish the investigation report,” she said.

She added, “The loss of 74 lives, including 57 army officers, is not just a tragedy for one group of families—it is a national catastrophe. A conspiracy was carried out using a state security force funded by taxpayers’ money to undermine the country’s sovereignty. Every citizen has the right to know the truth.”

BDR CarnageA press conference titled “Opinions of the Families of the Martyrs on the Publication of the BDR Inquiry Commission Report” was held on Monday, December 1, 2025, at the RAOWA Club in the capital where family members demanded the full disclosure of the report and called for legal action regarding the BDR carnage. Photo: Dhaka Tribune.

Saquib Rahman, son of Colonel Kudrat-E-Elahi, said: “The commission has clearly stated that there are some names they cannot reveal at this moment. We understand the reasoning to some extent. But we will not accept this being used as an excuse for indefinite delay. That is unacceptable to us.”

He added: "As soon as possible, arrest warrants must be issued against all individuals—military and civilian alike—and they must be apprehended. If the report is not made public, we fear that those named may slip beyond the reach of law.”

Rakin Ahmed Bhuiyan, son of Major General Shakil Ahmed, director general of BDR during the carnage, warned, “If the traitors are not prosecuted, then the opportunity for another Pilkhana carnage will remain.”

Ashraful Alam Hannan, son of Subedar Major Nurul Islam, along with another victim’s family member, said: “After this report, not only the families of the martyrs—the entire nation will now be able to speak.”
 
Analyze

Analyze Post

Add your ideas here:
Highlight Cite Respond
  • Like (+1)
Reactions: Saif

Tenure of independent investigation commission on BDR carnage extended

UNB
Published :
Dec 03, 2025 19:48
Updated :
Dec 03, 2025 19:48

1764810882633.webp

File photo shows an army offer breaks down as he carries coffin of a colleague killed in BDR carnage. Photo : BSS/Files

The government has extended the tenure of the National Independent Investigation Commission formed to reinvestigate the BDR carnage till December 7.

Cabinet Division issued a notification in this regard on Wednesday.

The interim government formed the independent commission on December 24 last year with retired Major General ALM Fazlur Rahman as its chairman.

Initially, the commission was given three months to submit its report.

The tenure was later extended twice, each time by three months, followed by an additional two-month extension.

The latest extension expired on November 30.

According to the new notification, the seven-day extension will take effect from December 1.

The commission has been tasked with unearth the nature and full extent of the events that took place on February 25–26, 2009 at the then BDR headquarters in Pilkhana.

The commission has been asked to identify those involved including perpetrators, accomplices, conspirators, evidence destroyers, instigators and any domestic or foreign individuals, groups, organisations, agencies, or institutions linked to the killings.

The commission submitted its report to Chief Adviser Prof Muhammad Yunus on November 30.​
 
Analyze

Analyze Post

Add your ideas here:
Highlight Cite Respond

BDR carnage plot to weaken army
Mustafizur Rahman 27 January, 2026, 00:21

1769477643077.webp

ALM Fazlur Rahman

The National Independent Investigation Commission on the 2009 BDR carnage has found that conspirators inside and outside were involved in the grisly killing at the Pilkhana BDR headquarters.

Former director general of the erstwhile Bangladesh Rifles Major General ALM Fazlur Rahman, who headed the investigation commission, revealed the information in an interview with New Age at his residence recently in the city. Bangladesh travel guides

‘In this inquiry, we have found out the inside and outside conspirators were involved. It was not any munity out of grievances within,’ said Fazlur Rahaman, a freedom fighter.

It is true that soldiers had dissatisfaction due to work pressure as in any force and there was a shortage of manpower, which also helps improve their skills, he further said.

Although people said that the Dal Bhat Karmasuchi (rice and lentil programme) was one of the factors the soldiers were very disturbed about, Fazlur also said, it was not the genuine cause behind the deadly incident that saw 74 people, including 57 army officers, killed.

‘We don’t say that this was the cause, because the BDR director general, who was the man to fulfill their demand, was killed. They had to have their grievances addressed by the DG — isn’t it so? But we have seen that he was the first man to be killed along with few companions,’ the retired military bureaucrat said.Daily newspaper subscription

He said that their investigation had found a link between the Padua-Rowmari border conflict of 2001 and the Pilkhana tragedy in February, 2009 as more than 400 Indian Border Security soldiers were killed in that clash during his tenure as DG of the then BDR for invading Bangladesh territory in Kurigram.

He said that they had found that BDR soldiers were exploited during the mutiny that spread to other places outside the Pilkhana headquarters in Dhaka.

‘It’s a kind of incident that happened at Palashi in 1757 — leading to the fall of Bengal to the British. A Palashi incident happened here in a small place of Pilkhana,’ he mentioned.

He added that all forces, including the army and the Rapid Action Battalion, remained standby near Pilkhana without going for actions although the military officers were being killed on February 25 in 2009 and it continued on the following day.

‘The RAB was standing and they didn’t take any action so far. But in the army law of 1952, Section 31 is absolutely clear. Wherever there is a mutiny, undertaken by a soldier, it must be subdued as soon as possible before it spreads to others,’ he said.

He disclosed that they had found that the then ruling Awami League and a foreign power were directly involved in the BDR carnage.

Fazlur said that they had evidence showing neighbouring country India was involved in the conspiracy to weaken the Bangladesh Army.

The national investigation commission formed on December 24, 2024 by the interim government to reinvestigate the BDR carnage after the ouster of the authoritarian Sheikh Hasina regime in a student-led mass uprising on August 5, 2024, submitted its report on November 30, 2025.​
 
Analyze

Analyze Post

Add your ideas here:
Highlight Cite Respond

Members Online

Latest Posts

Back
 
G
O
 
H
O
M
E