Wars 2023 10/08 Monitoring the Israel and Lebanon War

Wars 2023 10/08 Monitoring the Israel and Lebanon War
233
11K
More threads by Saif

G War Archive

Lebanon president vows to stop war with Israel
Agence France-Presse . Beirut, Lebanon 19 May, 2026, 01:24

Lebanese president Joseph Aoun said Monday that he would do the ‘impossible’ in order to stop the war with Israel, after a ceasefire and direct talks between the countries failed to end the fighting.

Aoun’s comments came as the Israeli army carried out a series of strikes in south Lebanon, while Hezbollah said it had struck a military target in northern Israel.

Since the start of the ceasefire on April 17, Israel has continued to launch strikes, carry out demolitions and issue evacuation orders in south Lebanon, saying it is targeting Iran-backed armed group Hezbollah.

Hezbollah has also maintained its operations against Israeli forces in south Lebanon and northern Israel.

‘The framework that Lebanon has set for the negotiations consists of an Israeli withdrawal, a ceasefire, the deployment of the army along the border, the return of the displaced, and economic aid,’ Aoun said in a statement Monday.

‘My duty, based on my position and my responsibility, is to do the impossible, and to choose what is least costly, in order to stop the war against Lebanon and its people,’ he added.

Last week the truce was extended for 45 days following a third round of talks between Lebanese and Israeli representatives in Washington, discussions which Hezbollah is opposed to.

But the ceasefire has failed to stop the violence, with Hezbollah on Monday saying it had fired a drone at a military target in northern Israel.

The target was ‘an Iron Dome platform belonging to the Israeli enemy army’ based in a military encampment in northern Israel, Hezbollah said, referring to Israel’s air defence system.

The attack was a response to Israeli ‘violations’ of the ceasefire, it added.

Lebanon’s state-run National News Agency reported a series of Israeli strikes across the south.

The Israeli military also issued an evacuation warning for three southern Lebanese towns.

The attacks came a day after Israeli strikes killed seven people in Lebanon, including a member of the group Palestinian Islamic Jihad in the country’s northeast, far from the Israel-Lebanon border.

Israeli soldiers have invaded and occupied a swathe of south Lebanon, operating inside an Israeli-declared ‘yellow line’ that runs around 10 kilometres north of the border. They have carried out large-scale demolitions in the area.

Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Sunday his country was ‘facing the challenge of neutralising first-person view drones’, as Hezbollah has increasingly made use of the tech to strike Israeli forces.

Israeli attacks have killed more than 2,900 people in Lebanon since the start of the war, including more than 400 since the ceasefire took effect on April 17, according to Lebanese authorities.​
 

Israeli strike damages hospital in south Lebanon
Agence France-Presse . Beirut, Lebanon 22 May, 2026, 01:26

Lebanon said an Israeli strike on Thursday damaged a hospital in the country’s south, where Israel and Hezbollah have been trading fire despite a ceasefire.

The state-run National News Agency reported that Israeli aircraft ‘launched two strikes on the town of Tibnin near the public hospital, where significant damage was recorded’.

The health ministry circulated a video showing part of the hospital with shattered glass on the floor, blown-out ceiling panels and window panes, and other damage to what appeared to be offices.

According to the ministry, 16 hospitals have been damaged since the war erupted on March 2, while 116 emergency and health workers have been killed.

The NNA also reported Israeli airstrikes on other south Lebanon locations on Thursday, while an AFP photographer saw smoke rising after a raid on the village of Hanniyeh.

Hezbollah claimed a series of attacks including with rockets and drones on Israeli troops in south Lebanon, saying they came in retaliation for Israeli ceasefire violations.

Since the truce began on April 17, Israel has continued to launch strikes, carry out demolitions and issue evacuation orders in south Lebanon, saying it is targeting Hezbollah, which has also kept up attacks.

Last week the truce was extended for 45 days following a third round of direct talks between Lebanese and Israeli representatives in Washington, discussions which the Iran-backed Hezbollah staunchly opposes.

Under the terms of the ceasefire published by Washington, Israel reserves the right to act against ‘planned, imminent or on-going attacks’.

Lebanon’s health ministry said Thursday that Israeli attacks have killed at least 3,089 people in Lebanon since March 2.

The ministry said Wednesday that a strike on the town of Deir Qanun al-Nahr this week killed 14 people, including three women and four children, one of them Syrian, updating a preliminary toll of 10 dead.

Hezbollah drew Lebanon into the Middle East war with rocket fire at Israel in retaliation for the killing of Iran’s supreme leader in US-Israeli strikes.

Israeli responded with massive airstrikes and a ground invasion in the country’s south, where its troops are operating inside an Israeli-declared ‘yellow line’ running around 10 kilometres inside Lebanon along the border.​
 

Latest Posts

Back