- Copy to clipboard
- Thread starter
- #201
Saif
Senior Member
- Joined
- Jan 24, 2024
- Messages
- 15,397
- Reaction score
- 7,865
- Points
- 209
- Nation
- Residence
- Axis Group
No respite for Gazans ahead of Eid day
Tensions soar as Hezbollah launch rockets, drones at Israel; US targets Houthi assets
Smoke rises following Israeli strikes during an Israeli military operation in Rafah, as seen from Khan Younis, in the southern Gaza Strip, May 28, 2024.
Israel bombed and shelled Gaza on Saturday, witnesses and first responders said, with fallout from the war bringing a resurgence of tensions to the Lebanon border and Yemen.
As Muslims worldwide prepare to mark Eid al-Azha starting tomorrow, Gazans lamented the shortages of essential goods and lack of an Eid spirit amid raging violence
In the ninth month of war between Palestinian Hamas militants and Israeli forces, the Civil Defence agency in Gaza City, in the territory's north, reported 10 bodies recovered from Israeli strikes on three separate homes.
In Rafah, in Gaza's far south near Egypt, witnesses reported clashes between militants and Israeli troops in the city's west and artillery fire towards a refugee camp in the city centre. AFPTV images showed streets largely deserted.
The United Nations says about one million people have been displaced from Rafah since early May, when Israel began ground operations in pursuit of Hamas militants.
Israel's military has also been operating in central Gaza, where on Friday at a hospital in Deir al-Balah city a middle-aged man wept over the body of a younger man. Blood soaked through a white cloth around his neck.
Since October 7, Israel's offensive has killed at least 37,266 people in Gaza, also mostly civilians, according to the health ministry in the Hamas-ruled territory.
Fears of a broader Middle East conflict have surged again, with Lebanon-based Hezbollah fighters, who are backed by Iran and allied with Hamas, launching waves of rockets and drones against Israeli military targets.
Hezbollah said intense strikes since Wednesday were retaliation for Israel's killing of one of its commanders.
Israeli forces responded with shelling, the military said, also announcing air strikes on Hezbollah infrastructure across the border.
Two women were killed in a strike on Jannata in southern Lebanon, village official Hassan Shur said, the latest deaths in near-daily exchanges of fire between Hezbollah and the Israeli military since the Gaza war began.
On Friday plumes of smoke still billowed over the village.
French President Emmanuel Macron said this week that his country and the United States would work separately with Israeli and Lebanese authorities to ease tensions.
Israeli Defence Minister Yoav Gallant rejected the initiative, decrying "hostile policies against Israel" by France, which last month had barred Israeli firms from an arms trade show.
The Israeli prime minister's office and senior foreign ministry officials distanced themselves from Gallant's comments.
During a Middle East trip this week to push a Gaza truce plan, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said "the best way" to help resolve the Hezbollah-Israel violence was "a resolution of the conflict in Gaza and getting a ceasefire".
That has not happened.
At a summit of the G7 group of advanced economies in Italy, US President Joe Biden called Hamas "the biggest hang-up so far" to reaching a Gaza truce and hostage release deal.
Hamas has insisted on the complete withdrawal of Israeli forces from Gaza and a permanent ceasefire -- demands Israel has repeatedly rejected.
To read the rest of the news, please click on the link above.
Tensions soar as Hezbollah launch rockets, drones at Israel; US targets Houthi assets
Smoke rises following Israeli strikes during an Israeli military operation in Rafah, as seen from Khan Younis, in the southern Gaza Strip, May 28, 2024.
Israel bombed and shelled Gaza on Saturday, witnesses and first responders said, with fallout from the war bringing a resurgence of tensions to the Lebanon border and Yemen.
As Muslims worldwide prepare to mark Eid al-Azha starting tomorrow, Gazans lamented the shortages of essential goods and lack of an Eid spirit amid raging violence
In the ninth month of war between Palestinian Hamas militants and Israeli forces, the Civil Defence agency in Gaza City, in the territory's north, reported 10 bodies recovered from Israeli strikes on three separate homes.
In Rafah, in Gaza's far south near Egypt, witnesses reported clashes between militants and Israeli troops in the city's west and artillery fire towards a refugee camp in the city centre. AFPTV images showed streets largely deserted.
The United Nations says about one million people have been displaced from Rafah since early May, when Israel began ground operations in pursuit of Hamas militants.
Israel's military has also been operating in central Gaza, where on Friday at a hospital in Deir al-Balah city a middle-aged man wept over the body of a younger man. Blood soaked through a white cloth around his neck.
Since October 7, Israel's offensive has killed at least 37,266 people in Gaza, also mostly civilians, according to the health ministry in the Hamas-ruled territory.
Fears of a broader Middle East conflict have surged again, with Lebanon-based Hezbollah fighters, who are backed by Iran and allied with Hamas, launching waves of rockets and drones against Israeli military targets.
Hezbollah said intense strikes since Wednesday were retaliation for Israel's killing of one of its commanders.
Israeli forces responded with shelling, the military said, also announcing air strikes on Hezbollah infrastructure across the border.
Two women were killed in a strike on Jannata in southern Lebanon, village official Hassan Shur said, the latest deaths in near-daily exchanges of fire between Hezbollah and the Israeli military since the Gaza war began.
On Friday plumes of smoke still billowed over the village.
French President Emmanuel Macron said this week that his country and the United States would work separately with Israeli and Lebanese authorities to ease tensions.
Israeli Defence Minister Yoav Gallant rejected the initiative, decrying "hostile policies against Israel" by France, which last month had barred Israeli firms from an arms trade show.
The Israeli prime minister's office and senior foreign ministry officials distanced themselves from Gallant's comments.
During a Middle East trip this week to push a Gaza truce plan, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said "the best way" to help resolve the Hezbollah-Israel violence was "a resolution of the conflict in Gaza and getting a ceasefire".
That has not happened.
At a summit of the G7 group of advanced economies in Italy, US President Joe Biden called Hamas "the biggest hang-up so far" to reaching a Gaza truce and hostage release deal.
Hamas has insisted on the complete withdrawal of Israeli forces from Gaza and a permanent ceasefire -- demands Israel has repeatedly rejected.
To read the rest of the news, please click on the link above.